South America Travel GuideWhen to visit South America
The majority of South America falls below the equator, which means the seasons are the exact opposite to those in the U.S. and Europe. Summer occurs from December through February and winter occurs from June through August. The enormity of the continent makes it difficult to classify tourism patterns, but like elsewhere, visitors tend to come during times of pleasant weather, good skiing, and holidays. The high and low season chart below is general, and seasonality by specific destination may vary.
Editors' Picks: South America DealsSee All South America Travel Deals
$39+ O/W Winter and Early Spring Sale from JetBlue
Dozens of popular destinations are on sale from JetBlue for travel into late May.
Novotel: Advance Booking Discounts
If you're willing to prepay for your stay, you can save at Novotel. Make reservations at least 21 days in advance to request discounted rates.
Novotel: Free Breakfast, Late Checkout, & More for Families
Lodging and breakfast are free for two children under 16 when they stay in their parents' room. Families are also offered late 5 p.m. check-out on Sundays and can book a second room at half price.
Novotel: Best Rate Guarantee
If you find a better price on another website within 24 hours of making your reservation, Novotel will give you that rate minus an additional 10 percent.
Top 10 Beach Destinations for Summer 2011
From far-flung shores to the beach next door, we'll help you find a seaside destination that's a perfect fit for you and your budget this summer.
Novotel: 40% Off, Plus Free Breakfasts
Book a City Breaks package at Novotel Hotels, and you can receive up to 40 percent off rates with daily breakfast included. A minimum two-night stay is required.
South America Travel Advice See All South America Travel Advice
- Soak in These Amazing Geothermal Hot Spots Soak your cares away outdoors in unforgettable settings, from the shadow of a volcano in the Pacific Rim of Fire to the fault line of the Rocky Mountains range.
- Truly Authentic Cultural Food Experiences Around the World Immerse yourself in local culinary traditions on your next trip. These 10 cultural food experiences will give you a truly authentic taste of some mouthwatering destinations around the world.
- 10 Hotels Where You Can Truly Get Away from It All If you take your solitude with a healthy dose of natural beauty, these incredibly remote hotels are worth the trek.
- 10 Scenic River Cruises Anyone Will Love Small-ship river cruises put you right in the heart of the country you're visiting. Here are 10 of our favorites from around the world.
- 10 Places You Shouldn't Go If You're Phobic In this, our most macabre month, we're taking a look at 10 places known for the kind of spectacles that many people would travel the world to see ... and a few would go to any lengths to avoid.
- Incredible Free Museums Around the World Jetting around the world isn't free, but cultural enrichment can be. We uncovered 10 incredible museums, from Paris to Beijing, where cultural discovery is rich but admission is free for all.