South America Travel GuideWhen to visit South America
The majority of South America falls below the equator, which means the seasons are the exact opposite to those in the U.S. and Europe. Summer occurs from December through February and winter occurs from June through August. The enormity of the continent makes it difficult to classify tourism patterns, but like elsewhere, visitors tend to come during times of pleasant weather, good skiing, and holidays. The high and low season chart below is general, and seasonality by specific destination may vary.
Editors' Picks: South America DealsSee All South America Travel Deals
Colombia Sale Flights from $533+ R/T
Fly to Bogota from 32 U.S. cities, including Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, and Orlando.
Novotel: Advance Booking Discounts
If you're willing to prepay for your stay, you can save at Novotel. Make reservations at least 21 days in advance to request discounted rates.
Novotel: Free Breakfast, Late Checkout, & More for Families
Lodging and breakfast are free for two children under 16 when they stay in their parents' room. Families are also offered late 5 p.m. check-out on Sundays and can book a second room at half price.
Novotel: Best Rate Guarantee
If you find a better price on another website within 24 hours of making your reservation, Novotel will give you that rate minus an additional 10 percent.
Top 10 Beach Destinations for Summer 2011
From far-flung shores to the beach next door, we'll help you find a seaside destination that's a perfect fit for you and your budget this summer.
Novotel: 40% Off, Plus Free Breakfasts
Book a City Breaks package at Novotel Hotels, and you can receive up to 40 percent off rates with daily breakfast included. A minimum two-night stay is required.
South America Travel Advice See All South America Travel Advice
- 10 (Almost) Secret Caribbean Islands Pirate hideouts and pink-sand beaches. Local culture untouched by cruise ships and crowds. This is the Caribbean the world doesn't yet know. Far off the mainland, floating in endless expanses of deep blue sea, find 10 secret islands that are practically perfect for escapists, adventurers, and vacationers who simply don't want to be found.
- How to Plan a Perfect Trip to Machu Picchu Take the guesswork out of visiting Machu Picchu. Start with these essential tips for planning the trip of a lifetime to the Lost City of the Incas.
- 10 Far-Off Destinations at the Edge of the World
- 14 Holiday Desserts Worth a Trip From witnessing a German baker knead dough into a classic Christmas fruitcake to indulging in jelly-filled Hanukkah doughnuts in Israel, here's the story on 14 internationally loved holiday treats and ways to enjoy them when you travel.
- Destinations to Watch in 2014 Find out which destinations have something really special happening in 2014, whether it's a momentous anniversary, an acclaimed event, or just one really big, marvelous party