Popular California DestinationsSee all 1380
California Travel GuideWhen to visit California
California has a varied landscape and climate that attracts visitors year-round. The most popular time to travel to California tends to be in the summer, but winter also attracts visitors to ski areas and warmer destinations. Spring and fall offer temperate weather and are generally less expensive, especially for mid-week travel.
Editors' Picks: California DealsSee All California Travel Deals
$49+ O/W Sale on JetBlue's New Routes
Among the recently stocked routes are Savannah, Washington, Lima, Port of Spain, and Santiago; among many domestic, Caribbean, and Latin American cities.
Hampton Inn: Up to 15 Percent Off
From advanced-booking specials offering 15 percent off, 10 percent off for those 65-plus, to 15 percent off military families, the numerous promotions offer savings.
Travelodge: Discounts for Seniors, Auto Club Members, More
Travelodge offers 10 percent discounts to members of Auto Clubs within the U.S. and Canada. AARP members can request 20 percent off. Government employees, corporate travelers, and guests 60 and older are also eligible for discounts.
Hampton Inn: 10 Percent Off for AARP Members
AARP members can request an additional 10 percent off their room rate at select Hampton Inns. All guests also receive a free hot breakfast each day with their stay.
Hampton Inn: Family Fun with Attractions Tickets
If you're taking the whole family on your next trip, book Hampton's Family Getaway package for added fun. The package includes two tickets to a local area attraction along with free breakfast.
Hampton Inn: Champagne, Chocolates, More
Celebrate an anniversary or just a weekend away with a romantic escape at a participating Hampton Inn. Packages include sparkling wine, fresh flowers, and more.
Hampton Inn: Free Parking, Breakfast, More
Hampton's package caters to cruise travelers or for those not wanting to pay to park at the airport.
Howard Johnson: Discounts for AARP, Auto Club Members, More
Depending on your membership or demographic, you may qualify for a discount at select Howard Johnson hotels. Get up to 20 percent off your room rate.
Motel 6: Extended-Stay Discounts
If you're looking for accommodations for a longer period of time, Studio 6 offers rooms for extended stays. Weekly rates start at $199; monthly rates are available from $699.
Motel 6: Senior Discounts
For guests 60 and older, Motel 6 offers a 10 percent senior discount. If you're traveling with grandkids ages 18 or younger, they can stay free when sharing your room.
California Travel Advice See All California Travel Advice
- A Night at the Museum: Sleepovers in Unusual Spaces These public spaces, from museums to amusement parks to stores, allow pajama-clad guests to park their sleeping bags beneath dinosaur bones or waterslides and stay until morning.
- 10 Iconic American Public-Transit Rides Certain public-transit rides offer a lot more than plain conveyance. Great scenery, technological innovation, and historical significance await on ferries and funiculars around the U.S.
- This Year's Most Popular Destinations for Fall Not sure where to go for your 2014 autumn escape? Read on to find out the top 10 places people are visiting this fall.
- 10 Most Romantic Coastal Destinations From the rugged Pacific Northwest to sophisticated California, from cultured New England to laid-back Florida, we've rounded up some of our favorite coastal destinations perfect for getting your romance on.
- Amtrak's 10 Best Scenic Day Trips With their large windows and comfortable coach seats, trains are unsurpassed for enjoying the countryside as you go. Ed Perkins offers his picks for the best and most picturesque day-only Amtrak routes.
- Explore the Outdoors by Hopping from Inn to Inn Leave your car behind and discover the delights of fall and early winter as you journey from inn to inn by bike, foot, horse, skis, or snowshoes, among fall foliage in Vermont, in the wine country of Italy, or between volcanoes in Ecuador.