Want to visit the United States’ hottest destinations this summer, but don’t want to pay crazily inflated prices? TripAdvisor (our parent company) just released its 2018 Summer Vacation Value Report which gives you the low-down on the best places to visit and the least expensive week to go. Surprisingly, Memorial Day week (May 28) was the cheapest time to go for more than half of the destinations, so if you want to save time and vacation days, you’re in luck.
The destinations were chosen based on the places with the greatest increase in seasonal hotel booking interest from spring to summer 2018 on TripAdvisor, and the least expensive summer week was calculated using the average hotel rates in the area.
Better book soon though, as the report found that 87 percent of the 3,300 U.S. travelers surveyed are planning a summer vacation, which is a six percent increase from last year.
Cheapest Times to Visit the 10 Hottest U.S. Destinations:
- Mackinac Island, Michigan: May 28
- Bar Harbor, Maine: May 28
- Block Island, Rhode Island: June 11
- Lake George, New York: June 11
- West Yellowstone, Montana: August 27
- Ocean City, Maryland: May 28
- Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts: May 28
- Anchorage, Alaska: August 27
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: May 28
- Nantucket, Massachusetts: May 28
More from SmarterTravel:
- 10 Countries Where Your Spending Money Will Last the Longest, Ranked
- 10 Exotic Dream Trips You Can Take in 2018
- The 13 Safest Places in Mexico for Travelers
Caroline Morse Teel is a Senior Editor at SmarterTravel. Follow Caroline on Instagram @TravelWithCaroline.
Editor’s Note: SmarterTravel is also a member of the Tripadvisor Media Group.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.