You can handle any type of weather with the right footwear. To avoid having to pack a bulky pair of rain boots, you can be prepared for rainy spring days by packing waterproof shoes like these 22 stylish and comfortable picks that are perfect for packing. These boots, shoes, and sandals are guaranteed to keep your feet dry and happy.
All of the products featured in this story were hand-selected by our travel editors. Some of the links featured in this story are affiliate links, and SmarterTravel may collect a commission (at no cost to you) if you shop through them.
The Best Waterproof Shoes
|Most Fashionable Waterproof Shoes||Oka-B Taylor Ballet Flat||Dress||$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Booties for Women||Sam Edelman Sue Booties||Bootie||$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Booties for Men||ECCO Hyrid Gore-Tex® Waterproof Chukka Boot||Bootie||$$$||Men|
|Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes||Merrell MQM Flex GTX Hiking Shoes||Hiking||$$||Women/Men|
|Most Comfortable Waterproof Shoes||Ahnu Sugarpine II Airmesh Hiking Shoe||Hiking||$$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Sandals||Birkenstock Gizeh and Arizona||Sandal||$$||Women/Men|
|Cutest Waterproof Shoes||Chooka Ballet Flats||Dress||$||Women|
|Best Women’s Waterproof Shoes for Travel||Blondo Karen Waterproof Fashion Sneaker||Sneaker||$$||Women|
|Best Men’s Waterproof Shoes for Travel||Dunham Captain||Casual Dress||$$$||Men|
|Most Versatile Waterproof Shoes||Vessi Everyday||Slip on||$$$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Clogs||Bogs Sauvie Clog||Clog||$$||Women|
|Best Wool Waterproof Shoes||Allbird Wool Runner Mizzles||Sneaker||$$$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Loafers||Aquatalia Karissa||Dress||$$$$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Walking Shoes for Men||Wave 2.0 Vibe Dark Grey Nubuck||Casual||$$||Men|
|Best Waterproof Men’s Shoes for Commuting||Cole Haan Grand Atlantic Oxford||Dress||$$$||Men|
|Best Women’s Waterproof Sneakers||Women’s Hatana™ Max OutDry™ Shoe||Sneaker||$$$||Women|
|Best Women’s Customizeable Waterproof Shoe||Converse Custom Chuck Taylor All Star Lugged Platform Leather By You||Sneaker||$$$||Women/Men|
|Most Trendy Waterproof Sneaker||Veja V-10 Sneaker||Sneaker||$$$||Women|
|Best Waterproof Golf Shoe||Ecco Men’s BIOM H4 Golf Shoe||Golf||$$$||Men|
|Best Waterproof Running Shoe||Nike Pegasus Trail||Running||$$$||Women/Men|
|Best Waterproof Dress Shoes for Men||Rockport Men’s Taylor Waterproof Wingtip||Dress||$$$||Men|
|Best Waterproof Walking Sneakers for Women||Skechers GOWalk Outdoors||Sneaker||$$$||Women|
Most Fashionable Waterproof Shoes: Oka-B Taylor Ballet Flat
- Oka-B’s Taylor Ballet Flat is made from a unique Microplastic material that’s waterproof, machine-washable, recyclable, and lightweight.
- These waterproof walking shoes for women are American-made with a slip-resistant sole to keep you safe on slippery surfaces.
- They also have massage beads on the insoles to pamper your feet.
- Whether you’re traveling or walking around your own hometown, they’ll keep you looking stylish and feeling comfortable.
Best Waterproof Booties: Sam Edelman Sue Booties and Ecco Turn GTX Chelsea Boots
- Short boots are good picks for rainy days, as they help prevent water from splashing in around your ankles. For women, the Sam Edelman Sue booties are affordable, durable, and comfortable.
- For men, the Ecco Hyrid Gore-Tex® Waterproof Chukka Boot is a stylish pick that you won’t need to change out of as soon as you get indoors.
Best Waterproof Hiking Shoes: Merrell MQM Flex GTX Hiking Shoes
- Waterproof shoes are crucial on hikes, where soggy socks can result in painful blisters. Merrell’s MQM Flex 2 GTX shoes are available in men’s and women’s versions and use a Gore-Tex membrane to keep moisture out—even if you have to ford a river on the trail.
- These trail shoes are super lightweight, weighing just over one pound, so provide comfort, yet also have mega durability thanks to the Quantum Grip rubber outsole.
- And even though these shoes are waterproof, they aren’t stiff at all, thanks to the patented FlexConnect technology that lets the shoe move naturally with you as you walk.
Most Comfortable Waterproof Shoes: Ahnu Sugarpine II Airmesh Hiking Shoe
- Ahnu makes shoes that are designed for walking in the rain, offering plenty of arch support and cushioning as well as waterproofing.
- For women, the breathable Ahnu Sugarpine is fashionable enough to be worn on the streets but durable enough to take off the road.
- They have a Vibram non-marking outsole, great for traction and grip, so you’ll be stable on your feet in the harshest of weather.
Best Waterproof Sandals: Birkenstock Gizeh and Arizona
- Sandals might not seem like something that would need to be waterproof (won’t your feet get wet anyway?), but if your travel plans include the pool or beach, it’s nice to have sandals that rinse dirt and sand right off without getting soggy. Birkenstock makes waterproof sandals that are easy to clean and much more supportive than regular flip-flops. Check out the budget-friendly Gizeh for women or the Arizona Essentials for men.
- The signature Birkenstock design with arch support, toe grip, and heel cup make for a perfect fit.
- Sandals have an adjustable buckle to ensure the sandals won’t slide off of your foot even when wet.
Cutest Waterproof Shoes: Chooka Ballet Flats
- Chooka’s waterproof shoes look like normal ballet flats, and they come in a wide variety of cute prints and colors for women.
- Lightweight and super cute for when you don’t want to wear a heavier rain boot, but still want to keep your feet dry.
- The outside is completely waterproof, but the interior is lined with a plush microsuede fabric that’s guaranteed to keep your feet warm on chilly, damp days.
Best Women’s Waterproof Shoe for Travel: Blondo Karen Waterproof Fashion Sneaker
- Blondo’s Karen waterproof sneakers offer a stylish, slip-on design that’s perfect for airport security lines.
- Made from leather, these shoes are coated with an AquaProtect seal that repels water and stains to keep you looking fresh on the road.
Best Men’s Waterproof Shoe for Travel: Dunham Captain
- Boating shoes are a good waterproof shoe option, as they’re designed to stand up to saltwater.
- The Dunham Captains have water-venting mesh sidewalls, channels on the soles to siphon away water, and a cushioned (and removable) insole for support.
Most Versatile Waterproof Shoes: Vessi Everyday
- 100% Waterproof, made of a breathable knit, your feet will thank you when you wear the Vessi Everyday shoes, available for men and women.
- Your feet will stay fresh and comfortable thanks to its antibacterial insoles with cloud support.
- Made with Dyma-tex, Vessi’s 100% waterproof, knit will keep your feet warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.
Best Waterproof Clogs: Bogs Sauvie Clog
- The Bogs Sauvie Clog has a waterproof, durable rubber upper as well as a moisture-wicking lining and three millimeters of waterproof insulation, meaning that your feet will be cozy and comfortable in any wet weather.
- They slip on and off easily at airport security but are sturdy enough to wear for extended periods of time.
Best Wool Waterproof Shoes: Allbird Wool Runner Mizzles
- Allbird Wool Runner Mizzles are cute, fashionable, comfortable, and different. Made out of ZQ Merino wool and a bio-based water repellent shield, your feet will stay dry.
- Water-repellent Puddle Guard® technology.
- All-condition traction grips slippery surfaces.
- These shoes are Carbon-neutral thanks to Allbird’s sustainable practices, by using natural materials which fund high-impact carbon projects.
Best Waterproof Loafers: Aquatalia Karissa
- Made with weatherproof leather and a rubber sole, these Italian-made loafers from Aquatalia are a stylish throwback for penny loafer lovers.
- Leather sock lining ensures a smooth fit for your foot.
- Slip-on for easy on and off no matter where you are.
Best Waterproof Walking Shoes for Men: Clarks Wave 2.0 Vibe
- The ultra-comfortable Wave 2.0 Vibe shoes from Clarks integrate WaveWalk motion control technology, aiding your natural walking movement for ideal walking conditions.
- Contoured footbed for added comfort.
- Its C-Shell membrane protects the elements from entering, so your feet will stay dry no matter what the weather.
- Available in four colors.
Best Waterproof Men’s Shoes for Commuting: Cole Haan Grand Atlantic Oxford
- Wearing rain boots and changing into dress shoes can be a pain when you have to go into the office. To avoid that, buy a pair of Cole Haan Grand Atlantic Oxford shoes.
- Leather outer with lace-up closure.
- Fully padded sock lining.
- Full EVA outsole complete with Cole Haan’s ultimate cushioning technology.
- Rubber pods in the heel and toe for added traction, perfect for slippery surfaces.
Best Women’s Waterproof Sneakers: Columbia Women’s Hatana™ Max OutDry™ Shoe
- Sometimes, we just want to wear a pair of sneakers, no matter what the weather. Columbia’s Women’s Hatana Max OutDry Shoe is perfect for a stormy day, drizzly day, or whatever the weather.
- OutDry™ technology provides “waterproof-breathable” protection.
- The Techlite+™ single density foam midsole gives an exceptional cushioning underfoot.
- Has an Adapt Trax™ outsole, which provides exceptional traction in wet and dry conditions.
Best Women’s Customizable Waterproof Shoe: Converse Custom Chuck Taylor All Star Lugged Platform Leather By You
- Create a statement piece with Converse’s Custom Chuck Tayler All Star Lugged Platform sneakers. Customize your sneakers with 11-customizable areas from the color of the body, tongue, laces, and everything in between. Make them as whacky or as plain as you like.
- Made with weatherproof premium leather.
Most Trendy Waterproof Sneaker: Veja V-10 Sneaker
- Join the ranks of celebrities like Meghan Markle, Reese Witherspoon, and the Duchess of Cambridge with these sneakers from Veja.
- Waterproof mesh inserts are made from recycled plastic bottles.
- The sole is made from wild Amazonian rubber.
Best Waterproof Golf Shoe: ECCO BIOM H4 Golf Shoe
- The ECCO BIOM® H4 is made with durable leather, with GORE-TEX waterproof technology, ensuring your feet will stay dry no matter the conditions on the course.
- ECCO MTN GRIP outsole ensures stability underfoot.
- The Ortholite inlay sole is conveniently removable and washable, so you can keep your feet feeling fresh longer.
- Available for men and women in a variety of colors.
Best Waterproof Running Shoe: Nike Pegasus Trail
- For runners who don’t want wet weather to stop their routine, Nike Pegasus Trail sneakers allow you to continue your regimen no matter what the weather.
- The rubber outsole has a shockwave-like pattern inspired by bike tires, plus the nubs give you extra traction for ultimate grip.
- Uses Nike React technology, making the sneakers lightweight, yet durable.
- Available for men and women.
Best Waterproof Dress Shoes for Men: Rockport Men’s Taylor Waterproof Wingtip
- The super classy Rockport Men’s Taylor Waterproof Wingtip is so stylish, that it’s hard to believe they are waterproof! Using Hydro-Shield® weatherproof construction, your feet will stay dry for the fanciest of occasions.
- Uses truTECH® technology to provide shock-absorbing heel cushioning, for long-lasting comfort.
- Features partially gusseted tongues and zippers treated with durable water-resistant coatings for further protection.
Best Waterproof Walking Sneakers for Women: Skechers GOWalk 6 Venecia
- Everyone needs a pair of regular sneakers, and ones that won’t soak your feet when it rains are key. The Skechers GOWalk 6 Venecia sneakers will keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- Uses Skechers Hyper Pillar Technology™ for added comfort and support.
- Uses a seam-sealed waterproof design, with a lace-up athletic style and a waterproof mesh knit upper, ensuring your socks and feet will stay dry on the wettest of days.
Do I need waterproof shoes?
If you are planning on walking outside for any amount of time on the regular, or are planning a vacation that is heavy on the walking, waterproof shoes are a wise investment. Even if you are just dashing from a car to a building, wet feet can ruin your day. A pair of waterproof shoes will make your life a lot easier, and more pleasant when the rain falls.
What is the difference between waterproof and water-resistant?
Just what you might think: waterproof means nothing will get in. Water-resistant means, for the most part, your feet will stay dry, until there is too much water, then the protection will wear off.
What is the best waterproof shoe for me?
This all depends on your needs. We’ve outlined the best shoes for various needs above, but to help you with your decision, you can ask yourself the following:
- What do I need waterproof shoes for? Is it just for your commute? For a trip when it might rain? For a more adventurous trip with hiking and a lot of outdoor time?
- Do I want something fashionable or more functional?
Once you answer these questions, you can use our guide to make your decision on what the best choice is for you. You may find that you need more than one kind of waterproof shoe, or that one is enough.
What is the best waterproof shoe?
If you are just looking for something waterproof that you can wear as you are out and about, the Vessi Everyday shoes are your best bet. Comfortable, sensible, and water-tight, these will quickly become your favorite shoes.
You Might Also Like:• Shoes That Are Good for Your Feet, According to Doctors
• The Ultimate Checklist for Traveling Abroad
• The 14 Best Fall Dresses for Travelers
• Airport Security Frequently Asked Questions
• The 10 Best Jeans for Travel￼
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.