Getting ready to go away somewhere can be stressful. An added stressor can be finding the right luggage for your trip, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you are looking for affordable luggage, luggage that makes a statement, or designer luggage, we can tell you where to look.
|Sold as Sets?||Matching
|Best on a Budget||Walmart||$-$$||Some||Some||Dependent on brand|
|Best Variety||Amazon||$-$$$$||Some||Some||Dependent on brand|
|Best for Deals||Lord & Taylor||$$-$$$$||Some||Some||Dependent on brand|
|Best for Adventure Luggage||L.L.Bean||$$$||No||Some||Yes|
|Best Designer||Neiman Marcus||$$-$$$$||Some||Some||Dependent on brand|
|Best for Carry-Ons||Target||$-$$||Some||Some||Dependent on brand|
|Best for a Bargain||T.J.Maxx||$-$$$||No||No||Dependent on brand|
|Best for a Vacation that is a Year Away||QVC||$-$$$||Some||No||Dependent on brand|
|Best for Families||eBags||$-$$$$||Some||Some||Yes|
|Best Smart Luggage||Kabuto||$$$$||No||Yes||Yes|
Best Overall: Away
Chances are by now you have heard or seen Away luggage somewhere on social media, and there is a good reason for it. Not only is it nice to look at, they are built to last, and they have a lifetime warranty. Away carries everything you need for travel: large checked luggage, carry-ons, duffels, totes, backpacks, toiletry bags, and all of the packing accessories you need: packing cubes, passport wallets, and more.
- Pockets for laptops and phones in most suitcases.
- Can be personalized.
- Variety of sizes and types.
- Color choices.
- Some bags have ejectable USB port to charge your phone and other electronics.
- Can be pricey when buying several pieces at once.
Best Budget: Walmart
It seems you can get literally everything at Walmart, and you can add luggage to that list. Not only do they have a huge selection of various types of luggage, but they make it easy to find exactly what you are looking for with their handy filters at the top of their luggage page. Find everything from affordable 3-piece sets to simple laptop sleeves.
- Insane variety of brands and price points.
- Fun bags for kids featuring their favorite characters like Buzz Lightyear and Minnie Mouse.
- Fast shipping.
- Easy sorting to find just what you need.
- Items are often sold out.
Best Variety: Amazon
It probably comes to no surprise that Amazon has the best variety of luggage available to purchase. Not only will you find a huge variety of brands, including the ultra-affordable Amazon Basics, but also a gigantic selection of accessories to go with your luggage, like toiletry bags, packing cubes, and luggage straps.
- Their handy carry-on guide let’s you click on the airline you are flying, and will bring you to a page with accepted carry-on bags.
- Amazon’s customer reviews can’t be beat, so you can get a clear idea of what you’ll be getting.
- Amazon Basics brand is durable and affordable.
- Size and capacity aren’t always listed.
Best for Deals: Lord and Taylor
It seems like Lord and Taylor is always having a sale or coupon (at the time of publication, they were offering $30 off with a $100 purchase), making it a great place to find deals on otherwise expensive luggage. From rolling duffel bags to 3-piece sets, you’ll be able to find whatever you need.
- Luggage for every type of traveler, from basic like Vince Camuto to making a statement with Betsey Johnson.
- Carries everything from checked baggage to passport carriers.
- Smaller inventory than other stores.
Best for Adventure Luggage: L.L.Bean
If you are a hiker, camper, or prefer traveling with just one bag, L.L.Bean is the stop for your luggage needs. Known for their hiking boots, rain gear, and other necessities for camping and hiking, L.L.Bean has taken their durable clothing to baggage as well, with a variety of durable luggage to take with you on your next adventure.
- Filter by bag type, fabric, trip length and more.
- Has bags for specific adventuring needs like holding skis, hiking, child carrying and more.
- Filter by collection to easily create a matching luggage set.
- No discounted luggage sets.
- Suitcases, rolling luggage and larger luggage selection is limited.
Best Customizable: Roam
For a truly unique, one-of-a-kind suitcase, look no further than Roam. “Build” your suitcase from scratch, choosing colors for the front shell, back shell, and trim, and adding a monogram for personalization. You can be as crazy or as simple as you’d like: choosing 3 different colors for each section, 3 of the same, or a simple accent color for the trim. Plus, the suitcases are durable and roomy.
- You can create luggage that gives a spark of your personality.
- Each suitcase features a TSA-approved combination lock.
- Choose from six different sizes of suitcases, plus add a backpack or tote to make a set.
Best for Luxury Luggage: Neiman Marcus
Sometimes, it’s all about the label, and Neiman Marcus will provide you with all of the fancy designer luggage you need. Names like Paul Smith, Kate Spade, Saint Laurent and others will fill your cart and make a statement at the airport (for those in the know).
- Rare finds on designer luggage.
- Free Shipping.
- Limited selection.
Best for Carry-ons: Target
WIth a huge selection of styles and brands, Target has whatever you are looking for in the carry-on department. Whether it’s a rolling hardback, underseat suitcase, or a backpack, you will find it. They have a super convenient carry-on luggage guide that will help you with your search.
- Easily find luggage for kids, with the handy filtering by character.
- Huge variety of every type of luggage.
- Some luggage only has one type of bag, so creating a matching set may be difficult.
Best for a Bargain: T.J.Maxx
Don’t you just love a bargain? T.J.Maxx may have moved on from their old slogan, but the sentiment remains the same. Find deals on all of your luggage needs, including luggage sets. They have a great online selection, but if you have a store near you, you’ll find even more of a variety! You can get free shipping when you sign up for their email.
- Affordable prices on different types of luggage.
- Unique finds.
- May be hard to find matching luggage if it is not part of a premade set.
Best for a Vacation that is a Year Away: QVC
If you are all about planning and saving for your vacation, then QVC is the option for you. They have a great Easy Pay option that lets you pay it off in three payments, to make it easier on your wallet and work it into your budget!
- Pay off luggage in 3 payments for easier budgeting.
- Variety of types and styles.
- Inventory changes often, so you sometimes have to act fast before they sell out.
Best for Families: eBags
At eBags, you can easily search for whatever type of luggage you are looking for, and their wide range of backpacks and other types of bags make this the perfect spot for shopping for the entire family. Their limited time deals are great for finding bargains on otherwise pricey suitcase.
- Super handy airline carry-on requirement guide makes it easy to find the right back for your trip.
- Limited time deals.
- Great price point for buying luggage for the whole family.
- Limited number of brands.
Best Smart Luggage: Kabuto
It seems like these days we are living in the future, and it is no different when it comes to your luggage. Kabuto has taken smart to a whole new level with an integrated USB charger and fingerprint unlocking features. Their expandable luggage is perfect for additional space when you make purchases while away.
- USB charging port easily accessible from the outside.
- Extra security with fingerprint unlocking system.
- Colors and styles are limited.
Purchasing luggage is an investment, and it’s something you want to last longer than just one or two trips. Choosing where to buy it can be just as important as what you buy. Away luggage may be pricey, but it is worth it. You can use it for years to come, and it has a lifetime warranty, so even if something happens to it (which is probably unlikely, they are so durable), you will be covered. So while it may seem expensive now, it will be worth it in the long run.
If longevity isn’t super important, then Amazon is a solid runner up. The selection is unmatched, and you are sure to find something that fits not only your budget, but your style too.
What is the Best Place for Me to Buy My Luggage?
As always, it depends on your needs. No matter what you need it for, there are a few things to consider when purchasing luggage:
If you don’t travel much and you are purchasing luggage for a big trip, and won’t take another one again for a long time, go with a budget choice. If you travel often, especially if it is via airplane, go for something a little more expensive, that comes with a lifetime warranty. That being said, price doesn’t always equal quality (some designer brands you are simply paying for the name, and the bag may not be as durable as you would like).
Similarly to price, the importance of warranty is dependent on how often you plan on using your luggage. Several sellers that sell only luggage like Away, Roam, and Kabuto offer lifetime warranties so you know you are covered if something happens. If you decide to shop at bigger stores that have a variety of brands, your warranty is going to be dependent on the brand that you purchase, so be sure to look into it before making your final decision.
Purchasing luggage you can use for any occasion is key. You want to be able to use it no matter what kind of trip you are going on. Look for luggage that you will be able to use no matter what arises—if you purchase a bag for yourself that has Mickey Mouse on it, you probably won’t be bringing that with you on a business trip, so keep that in mind when purchasing.
While it is great that so many companies offer lifetime warranties, you don’t want to purchase luggage with the intention of it breaking at some point, so look for durable luggage that will last for years to come. Consider the wheels—are they sturdy? Are there four or two? Hardback luggage is great for checking on an airplane, but will dent easily, while softback luggage doesn’t dent, your items are more easily crushed.
Are you someone who just wants a suitcase that will keep your items safe, and you don’t care what it looks like, or do you like to make a statement with your luggage? If practicality is all you care about, then stores like Away or Kabuto will work best for you. If you want to make a statement, try Roam or Bloomingdales for their more diverse, personalized bags.
What is the Best Time to Buy Luggage?
According to CNBC, the best time to buy luggage is March, thanks to the upcoming summer travel season and spring break travel. However, all year long you can find great deals on luggage, including Black Friday or other weekend sale events.
You Might Also Like:• 10 Things Active Travelers Always Pack
• 10 Travel Safety Mishaps and How to Avoid Them
• What to Pack for Hiking: 38 Essentials
• The 10 Best Off-the-Beaten-Path Destinations to Visit in 2022
• The Best Affordable Luggage for 2022
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.