As my friends and family will attest, I’m a big fan of vacation rentals: It’s my first-choice accommodations type whenever I take a trip. But before I book, I always research the property thoroughly. This gives me peace of mind because I know the place I’m renting is clean and comfortable, and also ensures I won’t get any surprise charges after checking out.
Before any money changes hands, be sure to ask the property owner the following questions:
- Are there any additional charges beyond what is posted on the site?
- Will you need to sign a rental contract or submit a security deposit?
- Do you pay in advance or on arrival?
- If you pay in advance and your plans change, can your money be refunded?
- Are there surcharges per guest if you have more than the typical two or four people in your party?
The following are usually covered on each property’s website, but just in case they’re not, find out:
- Will you be charged a cleaning fee or be expected to clean up yourself?
- Are linens, towels, and toiletries provided?
- Are pets allowed?
Once you have these items answered (and in a manner to your liking), you can book with confidence.
Have a great travel tip you’d like to share? Send your insider travel strategies to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.