Headed Down Under? If you’re in the market for Delta miles, this new promotion is an opportunity to pump up your SkyMiles account balance in the process.
Through May 31, SkyMiles members can earn an extra five miles per $1 spent on flights between Los Angeles and Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne (new service launching April 4), as follows:
- Non-elite members earn 10 miles per $1, versus 5 miles normally
- Silver Medallion members earn 12 miles per $1, versus 7 miles normally
- Gold Medallion members earn 13 miles per $1, versus 8 miles normally
- Platinum Medallion members earn 14 miles per $1, versus 9 miles normally
- Diamond Medallion members earn 16 miles per $1, versus 11 miles normally
The bonus miles apply to flights on Delta and on Delta-marketed Virgin Australia flights.
Registration is required.
Deal or No Deal
As always, bonus miles trump the alternative.
In this case, awarding a set number of additional miles means that non-elite members earn double the number of miles normally earned, while elite members earn lower multiples. That’s likely to stick in the craws of elite members, who rightly feel their loyalty entitles them to a bonus multiple at least on par with that offered to non-elites.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Limited Time: Triple Delta Miles for Airbnb Stays
- Unlimited Budget? Here Are the 10 Best U.S. Hotels
- Every Country’s Top Attraction – There’s a Map for That
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.