Want more budget destination ideas for travel this summer? How about:
- Virginia: To mark the 40th anniversary of the Virginia is for Lovers promotional campaign, Virginia has launched a 40 Off Travel Deals program. Look for $40 off, 40 percent off, or buy three get the fourth free at participating lodgings and attractions around the state.
- Bermuda: In honor of its 400th birthday, Bermuda is offering visitors staying four nights or more $400 back this summer.
- Scotland: Summer airfare sales and an exchange rate that will save Americans hundreds of dollars compared to years past are just part of the value equation. This year marks Scotland's Homecoming 2009, a year-long collection of festivals celebrating golf, whisky, Robert Burns, and other Scottish cultural cornerstones. Many events are cheap or free.
- Jamaica: Additional Air Jamaica service from Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, and New York make the Caribbean favorite more accessible this summer. Low-season rates at resorts offer extra affordability.
- U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI): The Sizzlin' Sampler Package includes a free fourth night, $300 off your vacation, and $100 in gift certificates for stays through October.
- Branson, Missouri: A new airport and service from Sun Country and AirTran make this music and leisure destination easier to get to than ever before.
If you have a slightly larger budget but still want to save, check out more far-flung destinations that you can visit affordably, including Tahiti, Ireland, and Bangkok.
Where are you planning on visiting this summer? Have you found deals to make it more affordable? Share your stories below!
Editor's Note: SmarterTravel is a member of the TripAdvisor Media Network, an operating company of Expedia, Inc. Expedia, Inc. also owns Expedia.com.