April Travel Protection, a major insurance supplier in Europe and Latin America, is entering the U.S. market with a full range of travel-insurance products. Available policies cover single trip, year-round, and cancellation/interruption, with optional add-ons for rental-car collision and cancel-for-any-reason coverage.
April’s point of focus is to relieve customers of as much stress as possible if something disrupts a trip. Coverages are primary, meaning you don’t first have to pay up front or claim from other sources, and the company maintains its own network of representatives to provide 24/7 complimentary travel-assistance services and complimentary concierge services.
How does April stack up against other options? I tested a sample two-week trip to Europe for a couple in the 40-50 age bracket with $3,500 of total cancellation coverage:
- April’s “Economy” policy cost $273, with full cancellation/interruption and $250,000 of medical coverage plus lots of ancillary benefits such as missed connection, ticket change, itinerary change, lost/damaged baggage, and flight delay coverage.
- April’s “VIP” policy, at $393, provides similar cancellation/interruption coverage, but roughly double the medical and ancillary benefits. “Any reason” cancellation brings the price up to $513.
- The lowest-cost policies offering just base cancellation, interruption, and medical benefits without primary coverage or the ancillaries cost around $150, but some don’t offer a waiver of pre-existing condition limits, which I consider essential.
- Policies offering primary medical start at $190 but are mostly in the $220 neighborhood.
- Policies with cancel-for-any-reason benefits start at about $300.
Without any history of actual traveler reports, my initial evaluation is that the April policies—even the economy options—provide an attractive combination of broad coverage and personal-assistance benefits. But you can find less expensive options if you’re willing to accept bare-bones benefits.
Have you used April Travel Protection? Tell us about your experience.
You Might Also Like:
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+