Zion National Park Warnings and Dangers
Zion National Park’s unique collection of plants, animals, and beautiful terrain make it Utah’s most visited national park. Visitors aware of the park’s warnings and dangers can have both a great and safe time.
- Bring plenty of water. The park has many long steep hikes. Sunshine and low humidity on a warm day will dehydrate you quickly.
- Check the weather forecast before you go. Rainstorms frequently cause flash flooding.
- Wear appropriate footwear if you climb Angel’s Landing; sand everywhere makes footing slippery. There are steep drop-offs on both sides.
- Go early. The park gets crowded mid-morning and stays that way all day.
- Watch out for dangerous plants; the Prickly Pear Cactus and the Yucca Plant have long sharp spines. You may also encounter poison ivy throughout the park.
- Do not feed the wildlife. Feeding wildlife will cause them to rely on humans for food. They will eventually become aggressive, expecting people to feed them.
- Don’t hike along the Virgin River without talking to rangers about the water levels and other dangers first. There are areas of the canyon, especially the Narrows section, where no high ground and nowhere to escape a flood exists. Also, watch where you walk–smooth moss-covered rocks make for treacherous footing.
- Don’t ignore warnings, especially when it comes to trail closures.
- Don’t speed on the Zion-Mount Carmel Highway. It has no guardrails and plenty of sharp curves.
- Several species of poisonous snakes live in Zion. Usually, they won’t bother you if you don’t bother them.
Editor’s Note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about warnings and dangers in Zion National Park.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 7-Night Lima, Puerto Maldonado &...
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Shop and Save with Country Inns...
Patricia MagañaHotel & Lodging Deals