Even if you’ve never been to a destination, you’ve already got the vital information you need to find the perfect hotel.
When we talked to the hotel experts at our sister-site Oyster.com—these are people who spend a lot of time inspecting and photographing hotels around the world—they reminded us of something important but easy to lose sight of in the quest to find the perfect hotel. It’s this simple truth: “Often when evaluating which hotel to book, neither is going to be clearly better than the other.”
But … there might be a hotel that’s better for you. To figure this out, you need to understand your preferences before you sit down to book. Oyster says, “It will come down to what is a priority for you—do you care about having a bigger pool or bigger rooms?” Or, is being centrally located everything to you, room size be damned?
“The more you can hone in on your individual priorities, the easier it will be to make your booking decision,” suggest the editors. Here are some of the categories you can use to assess your hotel style:
- Space: Do you need a larger hotel room? Or, do you need a bit of extra sitting space?
- Modernity: Do dated hotel rooms totally bum you out? Or do you appreciate a little vintage charm?
- Location: Do you want to be in the center of everything, or do you not mind being outside the city center? If you’re not planning on renting a car, be sure to research public transportation options before committing to a farther-out hotel.
- Extras: Is a pool a must? A gym? A good hotel restaurant or bar? How about a hotel spa?
- Your personal style: Some people love cool; others find a hip vibe repellant. Be honest with yourself about where you fall on the spectrum.
Before you start researching hotels for your next trip, take a few minutes to be honest with yourself about your priorities, and the preferences of anyone you’ll be traveling with. This way, you’ll be able to spot your perfect hotel when you see it.
You Might Also Like:
- The Best People to Ask for Help at Every Hotel
- How to Outsmart a Smart Room
- Free Things You Can Get Just By Asking
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.