According to Conde Nast Traveler, 33 noteworthy new hotels debuted in 2014.
The travel rag announced its hot list of best new hotels in a number of categories, including Best Design Hotel, Best Food Hotel, and Best Over the Top Hotel, reserved for the most extravagant and ornate sleeps … with an average nightly rate of $1070. Oof.
With some 500 worldwide debuts this year, there are plenty of options to choose from (although Conde Nast narrowed the list to a select 33), dotting the globe from Massachusetts to the Maldives, Phuket to France.
While the list skews luxury—this is Conde Nast, after all— a number of budget-friendly properties made the cut, including The Dean, a boutiquey spot in a former Providence brothel, and the stylishly efficient American Trade Hotel in up-and-coming Panama. Downtown designer boutiques like the Ace in L.A. and the Thompson in Chicago were among its ranks, as well as legacy brands, including brand-new outposts from Mandarin Oriental (Shanghai), Four Seasons (St. Petersburg), and Ritz-Carlton (Aruba).
Here is the full list:
Best Beach Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Salt House Inn)
- Andaz Maui at Wailea, Hawaii
- Mukul Resort, Nicaragua
- Nizuc Resort & Spa, Cancun
- Point Yamu by Como, Phuket
- Salt House Inn, Provincetown
Best Family Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Andaz Peninsula Papagayo)
- Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica
- La Bandita Townhouse, Italy
- Palihouse Santa Monica, Los Angeles
- Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
Best Food Hotels of 2014
(Photo: The Thompson)
- Domaine de la Baume, Tourtour, France
- Park Hyatt Siem Reap, Cambodia
- The Thompson, Chicago
- The Vines Resort & Spa, Argentina
- The Wild Rabbit, England
- Zero George Street, Charleston
Best Bargain Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Christian Harder)
- American Trade Hotel, Panama City
- The Dean, Rhode Island
- The Line, Los Angeles
- The Marlton, New York City
- Temple Hotel, Beijing
Best Design Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Spencer Lowell)
- Ace Hotel, Los Angeles
- Hotel B, Lima
- Hotel d’Angleterre, Copenhagen
- Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
- The London Edition, England
Best Over-the-Top Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Four Seasons Lion Palace)
- Aman Canal Grande, Venice
- Cheval Blanc Randheli, Maldives
- Four Seasons Lion Palace, St. Petersburg
- The Chedi Andermatt, Switzerland
- Rosewood, London
Best Way-Out-There Hotels of 2014
(Photo: Segera Retreat)
- Amano’i, Vietnam
- Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland
- Segera Retreat, Laikipia Plateau, Kenya
Plan on traveling to any of these hot-list hotels?
You Might Also Like:
- Nine New Airlines You Haven’t Heard of Yet
- Eight Cheap Alternatives to Staying in a Hotel
- From Goldfish to Giraffes: Incredible Hotel Animals
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+