Haven’t booked your summer Europe flight yet? Well, you may still have a few options before the ship sails across the Pond without you.
We’ve been tracking peak-season rates on many popular European routes for August travel since the beginning of the year, and though summer fares are considerably higher than two months ago, they are comparable or even cheaper than 30 days ago.
Here is the latest snapshot of some of those routes we’ve been tracking. The math is based on comparisons since my last report a month ago:
- New York City > London: decreased by 9 percent
- New York City > Paris: decreased by 3 percent
- New York City > Rome: increased by 11 percent
- New York City > Madrid: decreased by 3 of a percent
- New York City > Dublin: rates have remained static
- Los Angeles > London: rates have remained static for the second consecutive month
- Los Angeles > Paris: increased by 2 percent
- Los Angeles > Rome: rates have remained static
- Los Angeles > Madrid: rates have remained static
- Los Angeles > Dublin: decreased by 4 percent
- Chicago > London: decreased by 31 percent
- Chicago > Paris: decreased by 35 percent
- Chicago > Rome: rates have remained static
- Chicago > Madrid: rates have remained static
- Chicago > Dublin: increased by 2 percent
Overall, prices have stabilized and are no longer climbing due to major catastrophes, as was the aftermath of the volcanic ash. Having said that, don’t expect rates to get any lower either. Demand to the region always peaks during the summer, so this is likely as good as it’s going to get for high season.
If you have any wiggle room in your schedule, take advantage of late summer or early fall Europe sales. SmarterTravel’s airfare section provides extensive coverage on current promotions. Enroll in our Deal Alert newsletters so as to not miss out on deals, industry news, photos, and other travel information.
Read my previous installments from this series on booking summer Europe airfares:
- When to Book Cheap Summer Flights to Europe
- Book Now or Wait: A Europe Summer Airfare Primer
- Still Dreaming of Europe This Summer?
Are you tracking your own peak-season fares? Do you have strategies for nailing down a cheap flight during the summer? If so, please share your ideas below.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.