It’s a good thing Alaska has so much daylight during summer, because with the short good-weather travel season, you’d need to make the most of every hour to take advantage of all the deals I’ve come across in the last few weeks.
Alaska’s 50th anniversary of statehood and the very real possibility that fewer people will visit this summer seem to be the inspiration for this spate of deals. Here are some to check out:
- The Alaska Travel Industry Association has just launched a Hot Deals site listing deals on packages, accommodations, transportation, and activities.
- The Anchorage Convention and Visitors Bureau has a 50th anniversary information page with event listings, activity ideas, and a list of 50th anniversary specials. Specials such as 50 percent off a second nights’ stay at wilderness lodges, and free train tickets for people turning 50 this year.
- Gray Line of Alaska is offering $75 off per person on select tours, and has other tour and transportation discounts as well.
- Denali Park Resorts is offering all sorts of discounts, including the Sourdough Special with rates from $128 per night, a Statehood Special with a second night for $50 (or free if you happen to be celebrating your 50th birthday in 2009) at select park hotels, and the two-day room-and-rail Denali Rail package from $216 per person.
- Holland America is offering 50 percent off some of its Alaska cruise tour itineraries between May and September. For instance, an outside stateroom on the 12-day Discovery Cruise and Denali Adventure was around $1,000 per person. That’s well under $100 per day.
Know of another Alaska discount, or have a tip about how to save money or a destination recommendation? Share it with other readers in the comments section below!
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.