These days, it’s not hard to find a small waterproof speaker that’ll fit nicely in your limited bag space for a camping or beach getaway. But it is hard to find a portable one that also has high enough sound quality that you’ll actually want to use it over and over again.
Small speakers can sound tinny and completely lacking in bass. So when I heard about a waterproof speaker the size of a water bottle that has a built-in subwoofer, I had to try it out to see if it actually included the thrumming bass I was looking for. Here’s what I found.
Scosche BoomBottle MM Review
How the SCOSCHE BoomBottle MM Bluetooth Speaker Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. SCOSCHE’s BoomBottle speaker has high sound quality with a deep bass that means you can easily use it at home on a daily basis and will want to take it with you on the road. It truly is as small as a plastic water bottle. But, being a high-tech speaker with two subwoofers inside, it’s heavier than it looks (1.25 pounds). That’s a fair trade-off for better sound, but also means you might not be packing it when you’re limited to a carry-on (as basic economy so often demands). It’s doable for a weekend trip if you’re not an over-packer, though, and for a trip sans flying it’s super packable.
- Value: 8/10. The BoomBottle was initially available for $76 on Amazon—but might be a popular item, as its price has risen to $130 for the full range of colors. The plain black, however, is $80 on Amazon—which I think is a steal for such a small, powerful speaker.
- Durability: 10/10. The waterproof and dustproof rating of the BoomBottle means it can be submerged up to three feet underwater, and you don’t need to worry about sand or dirt on your average beach day. Its battery life is 12 hours, and this speaker comes with a type-C charging cable for faster charging. SCOSCHE also offers tech support and three-year warranty.
- Style: 10/10. Not only is the BoomBottle the size of a water bottle, it also has a reinforced bottle opener attached—the perfect touch for camping and cookouts. MM stands for Magic Mount, which means this speaker also has a phone-safe magnetic top and bottom, so you can mount it to anything metal (like your car) and physically attach your phone to it for easy deejaying. It also comes in several colors and patterns.
Final Verdict: If you’ve ever wasted money on a small speaker that sounds sub-par or didn’t last, a high-value BoomBottle will actually meet your expectations.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Cowin Headphones Review: Affordable Noise-Canceling Comfort
- 12 Shockingly Stylish Walking Shoes for Travel
- The Ultimate Packing List
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.