This summer, procrastination might just pay off. Last-minute deals on vacation rentals around the country offer savings of up to 50 percent off regular rates. Considering that vacation rentals already tend to offer better value than hotel stays, particularly for families or groups, additional discounts really are the icing on the summer vacation cake.
Here are some of the discounts we found:
- Outer Banks, North Carolina: Save up to 50 percent at the ocean-front three-bedroom Sea Captain’s Cottage in Nags Head. The week of June 14 usually goes for $2,650, but this year will cost only $1,325. The regular price for the following two weeks were $2,950, but have been slashed 50 percent to $1,475. You can find discounts of 20 to 35 percent for other dates this summer. (Source: Seaside Vacations)
- Truro, Massachusetts: Due to a cancellation, this four-bedroom ocean-view house on Cape Cod, which usually rents for $4,000 a week, is being offered for $3,400 for the week of June 27 or $6,000 for the two weeks surrounding the Fourth of July. (Source: CyberRentals )
- Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii: Save 25 percent off the usual price of $1,400 for a week between July 1 and August 31. The upgraded two-bedroom condo sleeps four, has ocean and sunset views, and is being offered at $1,050 for the week. (Source: VacationRentals.com)
- Orlando, Florida: This five-bedroom villa is a 10-minute drive from Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Between June 6 and September 4, rates are $796 a week instead of the usual $995 per week with promo code Orange 20. Rental of the villa includes access to the community pool, tennis court, and playground. (Source: SunKissVillas.com)
- San Diego, California: This two-bedroom condo sleeps six and is close to the beach. June savings of 35 percent mean that renters will pay $1,300 instead of the usual $1,990 per week. For weekly stays through August 31, the cost of a week is $1,695. (Source: VacationRentals.com)
Since these are single properties, dates will likely book up fast, but a little research on your part might just yield discounts on other vacation homes for your destination and dates. When you’re ready to start your search, SmarterTravel Senior Editor Sarah Pascarella has some tips about where to begin.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.