Ring Video Doorbell Review:
Price and Where to Buy Ring Video Doorbell: Ring Video Doorbell is $179 from Ring.com or Amazon. If you want to be able to play back video (as opposed to just use the live view), you’ll pay an additional $3 per month.
How the Ring Video Doorbell Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. The Ring Video Doorbell alerts your smartphone every time there’s motion at the front door or when someone rings the doorbell. The built-in 180-degree camera allows you to get a broad view of your front door area, and the built-in microphone means you can listen and respond to anyone near the door. Not only is this useful for things like deliveries, but it’s also a great way to keep tabs on what’s happening at home when you travel. There’s also a plug-in Chime accessory that you can use if you want the traditional doorbell experience (with some additional non-traditional ring tones) in your house, rather than just relying on the smartphone notification.
- Value: 9/10. There’s peace of mind that comes with knowing you’ll be alerted if someone comes to your front door, no matter where you are. You can also pair the front doorbell with motion-activated security cameras to create a broader affordable security system that you can visually monitor with your phone from anywhere.
- Durability: 9/10. The Ring Video Doorbell is made to be outside, and it seems tough enough to endure all sorts of weather. It can work in conditions between -5 degrees and 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and has a warranty of one year on its parts. It can be hardwired or run off a battery, and the battery life is surprisingly long, which is nice.
- Cool Factor: 10/10. This is an easy way to drag any front door into the high-tech future, and to keep tabs on your house when you’re away.
Final Verdict: The Ring Video Doorbell is a practical and powerful home security tool for travelers, and has many day-to-day non-travel benefits as well.
More from SmarterTravel:
- 11 Summer Road Trip Essentials Under $100
- 8 Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Vacation (without Paying Extra)
- 10 Secret Amazon Prime Perks You Probably Aren’t Using
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.