Just as we predicted! Our readers both on SmarterTravel and Huffington Post had much to say (and much to recommend) as far as barbecue goes. Hawk-eyed readers across the country chimed in with their favorite barbecue spots, from the big and famous to the tiny mom-and-pop joints you can’t even find online. I’ve gathered up a few with some noteworthy comments below.
- “I feel bad that you haven’t been to B.T.’s Smokehouse in Sturbridge. The best brisket that will ever cross your lips.” — M.G.
- “How you missed B.T.’s Smokehouse in Sturbridge is anyone’s guess but your loss.” — R.M.
- “B.T.’s Smokehouse is a must if you’re in MA. Right off 84 and the Pike so no excuses.” — A.T.
(Editor’s Note: Okay, okay! We’re on our way!)
- “My personal favorite right now is The Georgia Pig in the Fort Lauderdale area. Chopped pork is outstanding there and no one even mentioned them.” — P.M.
- “You missed Dr. Hogly Wogly’s in Los Angeles. Rivals that found in the BBQ shacks I’ve eaten at in KC and the other Southern locales.” — C.C.
- “For Chicagoans on the West Side, Russell’s BBQ on North Avenue and Thatcher is a local favorite!” — D.G.
- “Leaving Parker’s BBQ of Wilson off the list is a sin of omission.” — J.S.H
- “Parker’s Barbecue in Wilson, North Carolina, (amen and pass the slaw) ain’t nothing but the truth.” — V.G.
- “You forgot 12 Bones in Asheville. Ask the presidents; they know about it. Oh, wait, maybe I just committed a breach in national security. Forget about 12 Bones. You never heard it from me.” — M.D.W
- “Leaving out Oklahoma Joe’s in Kansas City is a major flaw!” — F.R.B
- “Mac’s BBQ right outside Savannah is awesome beyond words.” — S.I.
- “You missed a super BBQ joint in Oregon. Bo-Mack’s BBQ is family-run and sometimes they sing when prompted. Mama features ribs, brisket, chicken, and wonderful side dishes … homemade desserts, too.” — K.K
- “Sorry, any list that includes Rendezvous and doesn’t include The Bar-B-Q Shop in Memphis is null and void! Actually this this is pretty good with those minor exceptions … nice that they covered each geographic area as well.” (Editor’s Note: Awww, thanks!) “But seriously … Rendezvous?” (Editor’s Note: Hey, we like Rendezvous!) — R.D.
- “I agree with several others that Slow’s BBQ in Detroit should have made the list.” — P.M.
- “Slow’s in Motown definitely!!!!” —K.B.
- “Slow’s in Detroit is amazing.” — G.E.
- “Excuuuuuuuuuse me, but Dinosaur BBQ in NY is some of the best BBQ in the country!” — S.S
- “This is authentic wood-smoked BBQ, smoked for hours. It is so delicious, you do not even need sauce. That is true BBQ. Fresh meat from the local farmers.” — S.P.
Alabama … In General
- “Big Bob Gibson, Bob Sykes, and Full Moon Bar-B-Que, among others, are worthy.” — M.F.
- “Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham have the best ribs.” — C.M.B
- “Not to mention Alabama at all is outrageous.” — J.C.
(Editor’s Note: Oops. Sorry, Alabama. Forgive me?)
Texas … In General
- “Lockhart is the official Bar-B-Que Capital of Texas. In addition to Kreuz, there is Smitty’s, Black’s, and Chisholm Trail.” — R.S.
- “You missed Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor, Smitty’s Market in Lockhart, along with Black’s, which will soon be opening in Austin at the old Holiday House location on Barton Springs Road … the Texas BBQ Trail continues … get some.” — G.R.
- “Certainly Louis Mueller’s in Taylor (James Beard Award winner).” — M.F.
Missed the story the first time around? Don’t worry: We’ve got second helpings for you. Read through Best BBQ Joints in America and feel free to chime in below with your picks.
And if you’re hungry for more, here’s some recent food coverage elsewhere on SmarterTravel.
You Might Also Like:
|Foreign Foods to Try Before You Die||A Tour of Hawaii’s Best Food and Farms|
|Craziest Ice Cream Flavors in the World||Most Fattening Foods in the World|
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.