What Is it: The First Alert POD, a panic/bag/door alarm with a built-in LED light.
- The alarm is very loud—100 decibels
- Push one button to use as an instant panic alarm
- Can be set to detect motion/vibration, and used as a door knob/window/purse/suitcase alarm
- Strap included so that you can loop the POD around a door handle or your wrist
- Built-in LED flashlight
- Panasonic battery included
- Small and lightweight
- Battery is easy to remove and install
- Delay alarm allows you to arm a door, but still have time to enter/exit without setting off the alarm immediately
- There’s no outer case on the device, so if you toss it in your suitcase or bag while traveling, the panic alarm could be easily set off
- No code required to turn off alarm, so an intruder could easily shut it off
- You only have 20 seconds to situate the POD on whatever you want protected if using the instant alarm or delay alarm
- Tough to remember all of the various settings—you may need to bring the instructions with you
How it Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. This is a must-have item for travelers concerned about their personal safety or their belongings
- Portability: 9/10. The POD is small and lightweight (3.2 ounces and 1″ x 1.8″ x 3.2″,) but you’ll definitely need to take the battery out of it while you’re not using it, to avoid setting it off accidentally while in transit
- Value: 9/10. Considering that the POD can be used as a flashlight, panic alarm, and motion sensor, it’s a great value
- Cool Factor: 10/10. Being safe is cool, although if you forget to take off the battery and accidentally set off a very loud alarm, you will be the opposite of cool
Final Verdict: If you travel solo often, or just worry about having your stuff stolen while on the road, the POD is definitely an essential item for all of your future trips.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
(Photo: First Alert)
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.