The Nikon COOLPIX P1000 has a powerful telephoto lens that makes it the perfect camera for cruises, wildlife photography, or any moments you want to capture up close.
I tested out this camera on a cruise, and was able to capture clear images onshore from the deck.
As an example, from the top deck of the ship, I saw the scene below and was able to zoom in on a far-away detail (the penguin) and still capture a clear image:
Nikon COOLPIX P1000 Review:
How the Nikon COOLPIX P1000 Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. The powerful zoom lens allows you to take photos from far away, so you can get clear images of things like wildlife without getting too close. The camera also has built-in VR image stabilization, so you can take clear and steady video in 4K Ultra HD. It has built-in Wi-Fi, so you can share your photos easily to your phone.
- Value: 7/10. Although it’s expensive, a camera with this type of zoom lens is worth the price for serious photographers.
- Durability: 8/10. Like any camera, you’ll need to handle this carefully, but it held up well in extreme cold temperatures and withstood long travel days.
Portability: 9/10. The COOLPIX P1000 is surprisingly lightweight.
- Cool Factor: 10/10. I had so many people come up to me on the cruise to ask about this camera, including professional photographers. Plus, I was able to get many cool images while shooting with the COOLPIX P1000.
Final Verdict: Get the best close-up shots on your next trip with the Nikon COOLPIX P1000.
More from SmarterTravel:
- iPhone, Galaxy, Lumix: Which Is the Best Camera for Travel?
- 6 Small Cameras for Every Travel Photography Challenge
- 10 Instant-Print Cameras Recommended by a Travel Photographer
Caroline Morse Teel is always on the hunt for the newest and best travel gear. Follow her on Instagram @TravelWithCaroline.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.