Some travelers have trouble sleeping in a hotel room that’s too noisy. Others can’t drift off if the room is too quiet. The Nightingale Smart Home Sleep System attempts to solve both problems with plug-in wall units that create a “sound blanket” of white noise throughout your room.
Nightingale Smart Home Sleep System Review
How the Nightingale Smart Home Sleep System Rates:
- Usefulness: 8/10. Nightingale comes with two units that sync up with your smartphone and/or smart home system to play more than a dozen different sound options. You can choose between nature noises (crickets, loons, rain) and Nightingale’s sound blankets, which include options for adult and child bedrooms, as well as settings for snoring and tinnitus. You might have to tinker a bit to find the sound blanket and volume that work for you; most of the blankets sound like static when turned up too high. The smartphone app can also be a bit buggy.
- Value: 6/10. At $249, Nightingale is significantly more expensive than most other white noise machines on the market. It might be worth it to you if you want to link the system to a smart home platform such as Amazon Alexa, or if you like the idea of two units blanketing the room in sound from multiple locations.
- Portability: 5/10. The wall units are 4.3 inches high and weigh six ounces apiece, so they won’t take up too much space in your suitcase. But the main drawback is that you can’t use the Nightingale system for overseas travel. The units are designed to utilize both sockets in a standard 110-volt American electrical outlet, so you’d need a total of four adapter plugs to get two units into foreign outlets. Even if you managed that, Nightingale is only certified for use in the United States.
- Durability: 8/10. The units feel reasonably sturdy, though you might want to cushion the prongs of the plugs in your suitcase so they don’t get bent in transit.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. Sleeping well on a trip is always cool. I also like that the Nightingale units can be used as night lights, with multiple colors to choose from.
Final Verdict: The Nightingale Smart Home Sleep System is pricey, but a good night of sleep is priceless, whether at home or on the road. If the system works well with your sleep habits and lifestyle, it could be worth the cost.
Follow Sarah Schlichter on Twitter @TravelEditor for more travel tips and inspiration.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.