When you pack for a trip, especially a trip overseas, it’s easy to forget about medications and first-aid. That’s why you should always bring a basic first-aid kit with you on your travels.
I always keep a pre-packed first-aid kit ready to go so I don’t have to think twice about it when I’m packing. Of course, you may need additional items depending on where you’re going and what activities you have planned. But this first-aid kit packing list covers the basics.
First-Aid Kit Tips
- Look in the school supply section of your local drugstore for a small container, or order a small tackle box from Amazon.
- Only separate medication from its labeled bottle if you know you’ll be able to differentiate pills.
- Keep prescription medications separate from your first-aid kit.
- Include over-the-counter (OTC) medication based on your needs; i.e., if you’re traveling on a cruise and need motion sickness pills, make sure to include those.
- Pack a natural balm like GREEN GOO First Aid, which can relieve symptoms for dry skin, insect bites, scrapes, rashes, chafing, cuts, sunburns, blisters, and poison ivy.
- Include various-sized bandages; they double for blister protection if you plan on doing a lot of walking.
- Hand sanitizer, a small tissue pack, lip balm, and sunscreen are also must-haves.
- Be sure to fill out the Medical ID on your iPhone and list any allergies, emergency contacts, and your doctor’s information.
- Keep a laminated copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card accessible during your travels as well as a photo of your card available on your phone.
Download and print this checklist to make your own travel first-aid kit.
Editor’s note: This story was originally published in 2016. It has been updated to reflect the most current information.
You Might Also Like:• New COVID-19 Travel Rules Announced for All Flights Into the U.S.
• 15 Tips for Traveling Safely During COVID-19
• What Happens if Someone on Your Cruise Tests Positive for COVID-19?
• Will You Need a Booster Shot to Travel Internationally?
• 7 Surprising Places to See Stunning Fall Foliage Overseas
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.