Melbourne Things to Do
Visit attraction sites
Melbourne’s tourist attractions are set on rolling terrains offering breathtaking sceneries for visitors. During your leisure time, you can choose to visit some such as;
- Great Ocean Road – taking a trip along this road will allow you to see amazing scenery and beautiful vista. The constant pounding of ocean waters has eroded rocks, forming beautiful shapes and features.
- Phillip Island and Penguins – you will get to see the best of Australian wildlife on this island. You will be taken around for penguin watching, feed kangaroos and koalas in their natural habitats.
- St. Paul Cathedral Melbourne – this grand old Anglican cathedral features beautiful walls, floors, and ceilings. You will be stunned by the magnificent organ, wood carvings, pulpit and altars in the church. Remember to carry some money for photos.
If you enjoy the shopping experience, you will love walking around the markets in Melbourne. Buy some souvenirs to remind you of your trip when you leave.
- Queen Victoria Market – the market is a gorgeous space with beautiful architectural designs. You also get to buy fresh organic fruits and vegetables at the market.
- St. Kilda Markets – this market embodies the true spirit of beach shopping. Here, you get to buy some of the most creative pieces of work. Shop around on a Sunday for beautiful arts and crafts that you can take back home.
Learn the history
You wouldn’t want to leave without taking a trip down the memory lane. A few educational tours will do, and with the rich history of Melbourne, this will be a fun activity. For the educational tours you can visit;
- The Melbourne Museum – the museum has a wide range of galleries. With over 17 million items, Melbourne Museum preserves collections for both present and future generations.
- Monuments and memorials – ensure you find the history behind famous monuments such as Edmund Fitzgibbon Memorial, Governor Charles LaTrobe statue, The Shelter of Peace, The Great Dennis Lille and a host of other monuments in the city.
- State Library of Victoria – having opened its doors in 1856, this library has a vast collection of old and rare books, famous works, medieval manuscripts, hand-colored lithographs and beautiful engravings.
Visit vacation spots
You can choose to spend your leisure time unwinding at some of the quiet vacation spots that Melbourne offers such as;
- Queen Victoria Gardens – you can relax in the beautiful gardens and enjoy the great music that musicians play from the rotunda. These gardens are a perfect place for couples to bond and spend quality time.
- Fitzroy Gardens – although it is known as an excellent children’s playground, everyone will enjoy the environment in this place.
Festivals and seasonal events
Melbourne showcases its rich cultural diversity through festivals and events. Attend the Moomba Festival, Midsumma and Melbourne Fringe Festival.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Melbourne Travel Guide
- Visiting the Land Down Under in Melbourne
- Tips on Melbourne Warnings or Dangers – Stay Safe!
Editor’s note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about things to do in Melbourne.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 6-Night Lima & Cusco Tour,...
All-Incl. Upstate New York Family Ranch...
Ecuador: 4-Night Quito & Galapagos Cruise...