Whether you spell it duffel or duffle, the duffel bag is a necessity for every household. There is something timeless and classic about a leather duffel bag. It is a staple piece that everyone needs in their luggage collection. Like a lot of items these days, there are many different options to choose from when picking out a duffel bag: material, size, weight, design, durability, and various features.
Whether you are looking for a smaller leather duffel to use as your carry-on bag, a simple one to use for your gym bag, or a nice, big duffel with wheels and plenty of compartments to use as a checked bag, we’ve got what you are looking for.
Table of Contents
|Best Large Capacity Leather Duffel Bag||KPL Large 32 Inch Duffel Bag|
|Best Weekender Leather Duffel||Polare 23″ Full Grain Cowhide Leather Duffel|
|Best Leather Duffel with Shoe Compartment||Kodiak 60L Weekender Duffel|
|Best Traditional Duffel||Komal’s Passion Leather Duffel|
|Most Versatile Leather Duffel Bag||Rawlings Heart of the Hide Duffel|
|Best Goat Leather Duffel||Vintage 1946 Leather Duffel|
|Best Duffel For Travel||Large Leather 32 Inch Luggage Handmade Duffel Bag|
|Best Rolling Leather Duffel Bag||Rolling Wide Mouth Duffel Bag|
|Best Leather Duffel Bag for Business Travel||Kenneth Cole Reaction Colombian Leather Duffel|
|Best Leather Duffel Backpack||Baosha Leather Duffel Backpack|
|Best Luxury Leather Duffel Bag||Troubador Weekender|
|Best Leather Duffel Bag for Women||Monos Metro|
|Most Affordable Luxury Duffel Bag||Coach Trekker 52|
|Best Duffel Bag Handcrafted in the USA||Nokona Weekender|
|Best Old Fashioned Duffel||Time Resistance Leather Duffel Bag|
|What is the best leather duffel bag?|
|What should I look for in a leather duffel bag?|
|Can I use a leather duffel bag as a carry-on?|
|What is a good size for a duffel bag?|
Best Large Capacity Duffel: KPL Large 32 Inch Duffel Bag
The KPL Large 32 inch Duffel Bag is everything you need in a leather duffel bag. With one large main compartment for your clothes, plus outer pockets for easy access and organization, it will become your go-to travel bag.
- Dual adjustable shoulder straps with shoulder pad, for comfort while carrying.
- Four exterior pockets: two that buckle in the front, and two zippered side pockets.
- Durable canvas lining to protect interior.
- Available in four sizes.
- Only one interior zippered compartment, making organization of items difficult.
- The leather may be smelly.
Best Weekender Leather Duffel: Polare 23″ Full Grain Cowhide Leather Duffel
Fit everything you need and stay organized with this cowhide Leather Duffel. Available in 23 and 26 inch sizes, this will be your go-to weekender bag. The YKK zippers will keep your items secure, and the interior and exterior pockets will keep your items organized. It’s roomy interior gives you all of the space you need for your clothing, accessories, toiletries and more. The YKK zippers mean your items will stay secure, and add to the durability of the leather.
- One year warranty and lifetime customer service. You don’t have to worry about something happening to your bag— Polare is there to help!
- Made with 100% full grain cowhide, authentic American leather.
- Uses YKK metal zippers.
- Three interior pockets—one that zippers.
- May arrive creased from being folded up for shipping, and you will have to stuff it with blankets to give it its shape.
Best Leather Duffel Bag with Shoe Compartment: Kodiak 60L Weekender Duffel
Super stylish and functional, The Kodiak 60L Weekender Duffel will quickly become your go-to duffel bag for every trip. This classic leather duffel has plenty of room for you to keep all of your necessities for a short trip organized: with pen holders, a tablet pocket, and a shoe pouch, so your shoes don’t have to touch your clothing.
- Made from 100% top grain buffalo leather.
- Exterior has 4 pockets, including a shoe compartment, so you can keep your shoes separate from your clothes.
- Luggage tag is included.
- Large 60L capacity interior has pockets for pens, credit cards, and a tablet pocket.
- Shoulder strap may not be as adjustable as some people may prefer.
- Price point—the bag is expensive.
Best Traditional Duffel: Komai’s Passion Leather Duffel Bag
This rugged duffel bag from Komai’s Passion Leather is the perfect option for a quality, durable leather duffel with a lot of space. Made with full grain leather, this sturdy leather bag will keep all of your belongings secure, with plenty of pockets to keep everything in order. Two front pockets with buckles not only give the bag a vintage look, but also added storage for gadgets and other items you want easily accessible.
- Durable canvas lining inside.
- Adjustable, removable shoulder straps.
- Shoulder straps are slightly narrow.
- Leather may have a foul odor.
Most Versatile Leather Duffel: Rawlings Heart of the Hide Duffel
Known for their ties to baseball leather goods, it should come to no surprise that Rawlings has also created the ultimate duffel bag for all of your leather duffel bag needs. Perfect to use on a short trip, or to throw your gym clothes into, this bag can serve all of your duffel needs.
- Reinforced handles that will extend the lifespan of the bag.
- Durable nylon interior.
- More expensive than other duffel bags.
- Rawlings logo is prominently featured.
Best Goat Leather Duffel: Vintage 1946 Leather Duffel Weekender Bag
The Vintage 1946 Leather Duffel Weekender lives up to its name: giving a vintage feel in style and construction. The brass buckles on the outside give a polished look, while the large interior will fit everything you need. Made with top grain goat leather and sewed with durable waxed thread, with a thick, padded leather handle for easy carrying, and an adjustable, padded shoulder strap for added comfort on your shoulders.
- Riveted straps for an extra sturdy hold.
- Made from superior top grain goat leather.
- Adjustable shoulder strap with up to 25 inch drop.
- Bag may be a bit smelly.
Best Leather Duffel for The Gym: Seyfocnia Full Grain Leather Overnight Weekend Duffle
If you are heading to the gym after work and want a sleeker looking gym bag to bring with you to the office, look no further than this bag from Seyfocnia. Versatile and small, it is the perfect bag for keeping everything you need to go to the gym: from toiletries, to clothes and shoes.
- Outside shoe compartment, to keep your sweaty sneakers separate from your clothes.
- Made with Top pro-environment black PU leather shell fabric with a nylon lining.
- May tear if over packed.
Best Rolling Leather Duffel Bag: Rolling Wide Mouth Duffel Bag
What’s better than a classy leather duffel bag? A rolling one. This rolling duffel from Sharper Image will quickly replace your favorite carry-on suitcase. What makes this super unique, besides its rolling capabilities, is its wide mouth opening. Unlike many duffels, this one opens up completely, so items can be easily packed. Note: If you can’t find it at Sharper Image, Hammacher Schlemmer has almost the exact same one available to purchase.
- Top-framed, wide mouth opening for easy packing and unpacking.
- Two in-line wheels for smooth rolling.
- Telescoping trolley handle makes for easy maneuvering on wheels.
- No shoulder strap for when you aren’t rolling the bag.
- The wheels and telescoping handle make the bag heavier than most duffels.
Best Leather Duffel Bag for Business Travel: Kenneth Cole Reaction Colombian Leather 20″ Single Compartment Top Load Travel Duffel Bag
A simple, sleek leather duffel is all you need for travel, and this bag from Kenneth Cole Reaction bag is a favorite among business travelers. The top leather carry handles make for easy carrying, and the padded shoulder straps will make it a breeze to walk around the airport. The extra pockets will allow you to stay organized: keep your nicer work shoes in the outer compartment, and keep your devices easily accessible in the top outer pocket.
- Perfect size for carry-on requirements, making it an ideal weekender bag.
- Removable, adjustable shoulder strap with padded, non-slip shoulder pad for extra comfort.
- Five “feet” on the bottom of the bag keep the leather from touching the floor, for extra durability and cleanliness.
- Outer shoe pocket.
- The bag is smaller, so not ideal for longer trips.
Best Backpack Leather Duffel: Baosha Leather Duffel Backpack
The versatility and practicality of duffel backpacks are ideal for every traveler. The Baosha Leather Duffel Backpack is not only practical, but looks good, too. It’s perfect no matter what type of adventure you take it on, be it a short trip via a plane or a camping trip with some hiking. The highlight of this bag is its “hybrid” style—you can use it as a backpack, shoulder bag, or carry it by the handles like a traditional duffel bag.
- Its “hybrid” style: it is a combination of a backpack, shoulder bag, and a traditional duffel. Use the included shoulder strap to convert it into a shoulder bag, or simply carry it using top handle like a traditional duffel.
- Chest strap for extra security when wearing as a backpack.
- You can tuck away backpack straps when using it as a shoulder bag.
- Durable, high quality at a budget price.
- Shoulder strap is not padded.
- Only one top handle, which is not padded, and may be difficult to carry.
Best Luxury Leather Duffel Bag: Troubador Weekender
If you are looking for more of an investment piece of luggage, the Troubador Weekender is your answer. This ultimate leather duffel bag screams elegance with its sleek, minimalistic style. Practicality is key when you are traveling, and the Troubador Weekender does not disappoint. The interior of the bag has a padded pocket for your laptop, there is an external zippered pocket for easy access to personal items—this bag will be perfect for your weekend getaways.
- Padded pocket that fits up to a 17 inch laptop.
- Made from waterproof, Italian leather.
- External zipper to keep your essentials accessible yet secure.
- Inner zip pocket for easily packing accessories and toiletries.
- Fits most airlines carry on dimension requirements.
Best Duffel for Women: Monos Metro Duffel
You’ll look polished and sophisticated with the Monos Metro Duffel slung over your shoulder. The perfect choice for a weekend getaway or carry-on bag when flying. While technically not actually leather (it’s made of vegan leather), it’s water and scratch resistant, so it will always look good.
- The bag features Monos’ exclusive QuickSnap Modular Kit program, so you can easily attach and detach Monos Metro Folio kit to the back for easier access and organization for important necessities like your passport, tablet, and chargers.
- An inner PET felt lined sleeve that holds up to a 15 inch laptop.
- Made from water and scratch-resistant vegan leather.
- Available in three colors: white, tan and mahogany.
- No feet on the bottom, so the bag will touch the ground when you put it down.
- The bag does not open super wide, so packing may be tricky.
Most Affordable Luxury Duffel: Coach Trekker 52
From a favorite luxury brand, the Coach Trekker 52 is a TSA-compliant leather bag with a “no-fuss” design that is perfect for whatever journey you may be taking. The simplistic design of this duffel still ticks all of the boxes for what you need in a good weekender duffel bag: it’s a good size, it has a shoulder strap, and an inner zippered pocket to help keep you organized.
- Detachable strap with 25 inch drop for shoulder or crossbody wear.
- Four protective feet on bottom so bag does not come into direct contact with the floor.
- Inside zip and multifunction pockets for storage of smaller items you don’t want to lose.
- Does not include dust bag, unlike many other Coach bags.
- May lose shape if not kept stuffed while not in use.
Best Leather Duffel Handcrafted in the US: Nokona Weekender
All Nokona leather goods are made with the outmost care and craftsmanship, so it is no surprise they have created the ultimate weekender bags for all of your travel needs. Although basic, this bag is super durable, and will quickly become one of your go-to travel bags. Its no-nonsense, simple design is all you need for a basic leather travel bag.
- Large zipper closure for easy packing and unpacking.
- Available in three colors: Generation, Walnut Crunch and Black Stampeed.
- Fits most carry-on size requirements.
- It does not have a shoulder strap.
- Grab handles are not padded.
Old Fashioned Duffel Bag: Time Resistance Full Grain Leather Duffel
This bag will appeal to the history buffs out there, as you will feel like you traveled back in time with it on your shoulder. A classic, old-fashioned style, it has two zippered pockets on the outside, and two pockets on the inside.
- Made in Italy from full-grain cowhide leather.
- One year warranty with purchase.
- Metal studs on the bottom to protect the leather when it is placed on the ground.
- Wide opening for easy packing and unpacking.
- Only one inner zip pocket.
What is the best leather duffel bag?
- While you can’t go wrong with any of our picks, the Polare 23″ Full Grain Cowhide Leather Duffel is our pick for the best leather duffel bag for all of your travel needs. With plenty of storage space, plus four exterior pockets to keep everything you need, this bag is perfect to take anywhere your travels find you.
- For a luxury duffel, the Troubador Weekender’s minimalist look, laptop sleeve, and interior space for your belongings, this bag will soon be going everywhere with you—as it should if you’re going to be spending the money on it!
- For a budget pick, the Vintage 1946 Leather Duffel is under $100, yet is durable, large capacity, with plenty of pockets for organization.
What should I look for in a leather duffel bag?
There are several factors to take into consideration when looking for a leather duffel bag. Some you think about no matter what kind of bag you are buying, others are specific to buying leather. Here are some things to think about when purchasing a leather duffel bag:
If you are hoping to use your duffel as a carry-on bag, you will want one that fits most airline’s requirements, which is typically between 22-24 inches long. Smaller duffel bags will obviously fit less, but are perfect for laptops, phones, a few pieces of clothing and toiletries. You may prefer an oversized duffel to fit all of your gear, so look for a 30 inch or larger, which is rare for a leather duffel. Komal’s Passion Leather has a couple of larger options if that is what you are looking for.
Faux Leather vs. Real Leather
Most bags we featured are made of real leather, but be aware that vegan leather (PU Leather) is starting to pop up. If you are looking for genuine leather, be sure to double check before purchasing. Real leather is more durable than faux leather, but faux leather will not fade over time like real leather will. Real leather will have a more rugged appearance, while faux leather will appear smoother and crisper. Real leather will also typically be cheaper than faux leather.
To ensure your packing is organized, you will want to buy a duffel back that has pockets and sleeves for easy storage of smaller items.
You will want a bag you can use for a variety of occasions—weekend trips, going to the gym, etc.—so make sure you buy one that you are comfortable bringing everywhere. If you want to be able to use it as a shoulder bag, make sure it comes with a shoulder strap included.
Can I use a leather duffel bag as a carry-on?
Yes, as long as it fits the airlines carry-on size requirements. You can find a list of those requirements here.
What is a good size duffel bag?
Although duffel bags are available in large capacity, the nature of how you carry the bag makes it more difficult to carry the larger they get. A 20 inch bag is not too big, yet big enough to be the perfect weekend bag, and will fit most airline’s carry-on requirements. Smaller bags are great to use as a personal item on an airplane, but likely will not be big enough to carry everything you need.
|Bag||Sizes||Weight||Backpack||Outer Pockets||Carry-On Compliant?|
|KPL Large 32 Inch Duffel Bag||32, 21, 24, 30 in.||6.2 lb||No||4||Yes (smallest size)|
|Polare 23″ Full Grain Cowhide Leather Duffel||23 in. 26 in.||4.85 lb||No||3||No|
|Kodiak 60 L Weekender Duffel||23.5 in 20 in.||n/a||No||4||Yes (30 L)|
|Komal’s Passion Leather Duffel||24 in.||3.31 lb||No||3||No|
|Rawlings Heart of the Hide Duffel||22 in.||5.6 lb||No||2||Yes|
|Vintage 1946 Leather Duffel||21, 24, 28, 32 in.||3 lb||No||3||Yes|
|Rolling Wide Mouth Duffel Bag||21 in.||6.5 lb||No||1||Yes|
|Kenneth Cole Reaction Duffel Bag||20 in.||4.35 lb||No||5||Yes|
|Baosha Leather Duffel Backpack||20 in.||n/a||Yes||2||Yes|
|Troubador Weekender||19||4.63 lb||No||1||Yes|
|Coach Trekker 52||19.75||n/a||No||0||Yes|
|Time Resistance Full Grain Leather Duffel||21.7 in.||4.3 lb||No||2||Yes|
You Might Also Like:• The Best Father’s Day Gifts for Travelers
• The Summer 2023 Travel Essentials Guide
• The 8 Best White Sneakers for Travel
• The 19 Best Travel Bags for Men
• 5 Comfortable and Packable Dress Shoes You Can Actually Walk In
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
New Zealand: 13-Night, 5-City Vacation w/Air,...
Down Under Answersvacation $6199+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+