Yak wool? Yes. The company Kora has developed a high-performance technical fabric from raw yak wool sourced from Tibetan communities. It then turns the fabric into outdoor clothing tested in long-term wear trials in extreme conditions (on an expedition in Arctic Greenland, for instance).
Kora’s Hima-Layer yak wool fabric is soft (and itch-free), breathable, warm, odor-resistant, and machine washable, and it has natural flex for movement.
Kora Azog Jacket Review:
How the Kora Azog Jacket Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. For travelers, the Kora Azog jacket is a true find. Lightweight but warm, it can be worn as a very effective mid-layer in truly cold conditions or as an outerwear layer on milder days. It’s soft and comfortable, and it has nice extras like thumb loops, a hood with a slim profile, and zippered pockets. The Kora Azog jacket was designed with outdoor athletes in mind, but it’s just as useful for travelers looking for an easy-to-pack and lightweight layer that offers serious warmth and travel-friendly features.
- Value: 7/10. At $270, this is a pricey jacket. But travelers who can embrace the higher price point will find an excellent return on investment in terms of comfort, performance, and ease of packing.
- Durability: 9/10. This is a well-made jacket. The fabric is strong yet has enough give to be comfortable; it noticeably doesn’t constrict movement. The seams are strong and the zippers seem sturdy. A grease stain was treated easily and didn’t impact the color of the jacket.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. Not only does this jacket have a flattering silhouette and deliver comfortable warmth, but it’s also a conversation starter because it’s made with yak wool.
Final Verdict: Is yak wool going to change your travel game? This jacket just might.
More from SmarterTravel:
- 12 Best Travel Gadgets for Any Trip in 2019
- Ridiculously Comfortable Travel Clothes That Don’t Sacrifice Style
- The Thinnest, Warmest Winter Clothes for Packing
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us to test free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.