Travel doesn’t start when you hit the road, and it doesn’t end when you arrive home. That’s why at SmarterTravel Media (STM), we deliver expert travel tips, inspiring destination stories, and timely travel news—because we want to feed our readers’ passion for travel before, during, and after each trip. We’re always on the lookout for freelance writers for our collection of travel sites, and want to feature voices from all communities.
We are currently commissioning stories for SmarterTravel, Family Vacation Critic, Oyster, and Airfarewatchdog. We pay a rate of between $175-$300 depending on the story length and level of research. Story length is flexible but is generally around 800-1,000 words.
Clearly disclose in your pitch if you traveled on a press trip, accepted discounts, or received products of any kind.
What We’re Looking For
STM accepts stories on a range of travel topics, including insider advice, booking strategies, saving money, avoiding scams, packing tips, best places to go, travel tech, travel trends, product round-ups, and travel tips that represent all kinds of travelers and travel experiences. We are not currently commissioning single destination stories.
How to Successfully Pitch:
- Before you pitch, search the site to make sure that your story topic has not already been covered. Familiarize yourself with the tone and style for each brand, and indicate which site (SmarterTravel, Oyster, Family Vacation Critic, or Airfarewatchdog) you are pitching.
- Offer reasons why you think your story will be a top performer. Is it timely? Will it have long-tail SEO value? Is it a trending topic?
- Outline the methodology you will be using for a story (for example, looking at DOT data, interviewing flight attendants, personal experiences, etc.)
- Include a brief summary of your writing experience/links to previously published work.
Pitches can be sent to Caroline Teel at email@example.com.
You Might Also Like:• I Have to Cancel a Non-Refundable Trip. Can I Get Any Money Back?
• Would You Pay Extra to Use the Pool? Hotels Add More Fees
• Where Can Americans Travel Right Now?
• The 8 Best Jobs for People Who Love To Travel
• The 10 Most Crowded Beaches in the World — and Where to Go Instead
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.