With airlines rolling out new checked-baggage fees at every turn, and security lines adding to hassles at the airport, packing can make an already stressful situation worse. However, knowing how to pack a carry-on bag may offer the perfect way to lessen the load.
To start, it’s important to have a suitcase that abides by airline requirements. Most carry-on bags cannot be larger than 45 linear inches or weigh more than 40 pounds. Once you have a bag you know will fit, you’re ready to pack.
Here are a few tips to save space, outsmart the 3-1-1 rule, and avoid fees.
- Since all liquids must be in a three-ounce container, use refillable bottles to store all of your favorite products.
- Purchase multi-purpose products, such as Dr. Bronner’s Magic 18-In-One Soaps, which promise 18 different uses (including shampoo, body wash, laundry detergent, etc.).
- Pack non-liquid alternatives to your regular toiletries.
- Choose outfits with a similar color palette, so you can mix and match items.
- Roll your clothes to save space.
- Use vacuum travel bags to compress your clothing and keep it wrinkle-free.
- Take only one pair of shoes for walking, and one for more formal events.
- Wear bulkier items on the plane, such as boots or a heavier jacket.
- Keep all items organized and easily accessible in case of a security check.
Have a great travel tip you’d like to share? Send your insider travel strategies to email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
New Zealand: 13-Night, 5-City Vacation w/Air,...
Down Under Answersvacation $6199+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+