Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged Luggage Review
Price and Where to Buy: The Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged has just launched on Kickstarter. The expected retail price of the new carry-on is $395, but there are various early-bird backer options starting at $199 that have an estimated suitcase delivery of May 2019. Note that we usually don’t review products in the Kickstarter phase, but because we have had uniformly good experiences with Genius Pack products, we feel confident reviewing this new offering. Find other Genius Pack travel gear at Amazon.
How the Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. Based on its beloved Aerial Carry, the Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged is an upgrade designed for enhanced utility. The lightweight polycarbonate shell houses exterior features including a TSA-approved combination lock, a dual-position telescoping handle, and eight wheels for smooth 360-degree spinning capability. Two USB ports connect to a TSA-friendly removable power pack that has more power than most—it can charge a phone up to four times without needing to be recharged. Inside, the Genius Pack magic happens: labeled zippered compartments minimize the need for individual packing cubes, and a separate compartment can be used to layer hanging clothes (it comes with a garment loop) or for laundry. Traveling with the Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged was a seamless experience—the features were useful rather than just decorative, the size was just right (large enough to maximize every inch of carry-on space, but small enough to fit easily into the airplane overhead compartment), and it rolled easily over a variety of surfaces (more about that in the ‘Durability’ section below).
- Value: 7/10. The eventual price point of $395 puts the Supercharged at the higher end of non-luxury luggage, but for tech-forward travelers, hard-sided suitcase die-hards, Genius Pack loyalists, and anyone who wants more organization built into their travels, it’s a worthwhile investment. Note that while the suitcase is in the Kickstarter investment phase, prices for the suitcase range from $199 to $219, which brings the price down significantly.
- Durability: 9/10. In our tests, the Genius Pack Carry-On Supercharged rolled along a variety of surfaces—including slushy streets and uneven sidewalks—well. Though it’s a carry-on, we wanted to make sure it could withstand the rough-and-tumble world of checked luggage, too; it appeared on the baggage carousel with only a few scuffs that wiped off easily.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. The sleek look of this hard-sided carry-on ups its cool quotient, as do external features like the dual USB ports and TSA combination lock. Inside, the thoughtful design makes for easy packing.
Final Verdict: This latest addition to the Genius Pack family delivers all the organization-focused design you expect, plus next-generation tech-focused functionality that eliminates battery-life-anxiety from travel days.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Editors’ Choice: Best New Carry-Ons for 2018
- 7 Things Not to Do When Packing a Carry-On Bag
- 10 Underseat Carry-Ons You Can Take on Any Flight
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us to test free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.