Beginning in May, Frontier passengers will pay more to check their bags.
That’s no surprise, given the airline’s ongoing transition to an ultra-low-cost carrier (think Spirit, Ryanair). The marketing strategy is straightforward: Advertise extra-low ticket prices, and impose hefty surcharges for any services that can be separated from the basic A-to-B transportation product. For example, Frontier charges up to $40 for carry-on bags, and $5 for seat assignments.
On May 1, checked-bag fees will increase by increments of either $5 or $10, as follows:
- First checked bag with phone booking – increases from $25 to $30
- First checked bag with web check in – increases from $20 to $25
- First checked bag with airport check in – increases from $25 to $30
- Second bag checked at airport – increases from $30 to $35
- Third bag checked at airport – increases from $75 to $80
- Gate-check fee – increases from $50 to $60
When checked bags are requested at the time of online bookings, the price will remain set at $20. For now, that is.
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Peru: 7-Night Lima, Puerto Maldonado &...
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Athens to Rome: Luxe, 7-Night Mediterranean...
Regent Seven Seas Cruisescruise $9699+