Rapid Rewards members normally earn 600 points for qualifying car rentals. That’s 600 points no matter how long the rental, or how much the rental costs—not a very compelling proposition, especially for longer rentals.
Through January 31, 2017, Rapid Rewards members can earn up to quadruple points for car rentals, as follows:
- Alamo – 1,200 points for two- or three-day rentals; 1,800 points for four to six days; 2,400 points for seven or more days
- Avis – 1,200 points for three- to six-day rentals; 2,400 points for seven or more days
- Dollar – 1,200 points for all qualifying rentals
- Hertz – 1,200 points for three- to six-day rentals; 2,400 points for seven or more days
- Payless – 1,200 points for all qualifying rentals
- Thrifty – 1,200 points for all qualifying rentals
Deal or No Deal
More points always trump the alternative. If you’re a Rapid Rewards member with plans to rent a car during the promotion period, be sure to register to earn bonus points with one of the participating providers.
More from SmarterTravel:
- United Chases Big Spenders with New Business Class
- Bernie Sanders Compares Disneyland to Wal-Mart
- Is the TSA’s PreCheck Overpriced and Overcomplicated?
After 20 years working in the travel industry, and 15 years writing about it, Tim Winship knows a thing or two about travel. Follow him on Twitter @twinship.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.