Want to receive stories like this every day? Subscribe to our free Deal Alert newsletter!
Once you recover from the Thanksgiving feast, focus on booking that Christmas flight. Prices have started to rise, and you don’t want to be left out in the cold.
Bad News First
Compared to last month’s rates, which offered 75 percent in savings versus the previous month, current savings are not as impressive. Only 42 percent of the routes we’re researching have declined in price since late October.
Has the boat sailed on your holiday flight? Not necessarily. The current rates are still more than 75 percent less than this time last year, and very likely more affordable than they’ll be as they begin to inch up in the coming days. So get booking now!
And for the Pudding
Holiday Booking Strategies
Here are more tips for nailing down solid savings on your holiday fare:
- Compare prices before you book.
- Steer clear of peak travel days, including the day before Christmas and the last day of the holiday weekend.
- Be in the know when sales come out: The sale match generally gets lit by one of the low-cost carriers on Tuesday, and by the following morning, competitors have jumped into the fray and created what we call a full-out fare war.
- Be flexible and check fares from nearby airports as well.
- Check out our previous installment on holiday airfare searches.
If you’ve already reserved your flight, did you pay more this year than last? If you have yet to book, are you holding off for last-minute fares?