Want to receive stories like this every day? Subscribe to our free Deal Alert newsletter!
Summer is a tempting time to explore distant lands, but peak season pricing often puts Europe travel out of reach. Heed to the Old Country’s siren calls because procrastination may have saved you a few euros.
Airfare Trends Versus 2010
In comparison to last year, 66 percent of the routes I’ve been tracking have exponentially hiked. One trend I’ve witnessed are higher Dublin fares, in particular from the East Coast. Don’t ditch the Emerald Isle from the Midwest or West Coast, however—those rates are not too much more than 2010.
Airfare Trends Versus Last Month
Didn’t buy your Europe flights last month? Procrastination may have saved you money. 62 percent of the routes I’m tracking are lower than this time in April. For example, Rome flights are either the same price or less expensive this month versus last. The Rome flights I’m tracking have all either stayed the same or offer savings since the second week in April.
Get some help with the above airport codes here.
- Keep tabs on savings by enrolling in SmarterTravel’s daily Deal Alert to receive alerts on fare promotions.
- Flip through our Hidden Europe: 10 Secret Treasures photo gallery for inspiring, off-the-beaten-path destination ideas. Skip tourist lines in well-known cities and instead head to the more obscure Gozo, Levoca, Sopot, and Varena, among other secret locales.
- Find an airline-by-airline breakdown of additional charges in our SmarterTravel Ultimate Guide to Airline Fees Europe Edition.
- Check out SmarterTravel’s Europe travel guides for general tips such as when to go.
- Research travel alerts before taking off by going to the U.S. State Department’s website.