Budapest will sneak up on you. You might think you’re just there to climb to the tops of the Buda hills and take in the sights of the main city along the Danube, but what you’ll find is a city bursting with personality. From the top-notch restaurants and cocktail lounges to the food trucks and bars housed in the abandoned buildings of the famous District VII neighborhood, there’s so much the city has to offer. Here are the best places in Budapest to get started.
- Corinthia Hotel for a taste of luxury.
- Blue Danube Hostel for a quality hostel with a warm welcome.
- Hotel Palazzo Zicchy for a boutique hotel with a sophisticated touch.
- Casati Budapest Hotel for immersing yourself in modern design.
- Central Market Hall for immersing yourself in Hungarian flavors.
- Karavan for the city’s best street food all in one place.
- Bors GasztroBar for authentic Hungarian fast food with a Star Wars theme.
- Taverna Dionysos for Mediterranean cuisine in a unique locale.
- Parliament Building for stunning architecture reflected on the Danube.
- Castle Funicular for a fun ride and stunning views from the Budapest Castle.
- House of Terror for a harrowing museum experience that takes you back to the city’s communist era.
- The Citadel for a hike to the fort on top of the city with spectacular views.
- Szimpla Kert for discovering Budapest’s original ruin bar.
- Instant for getting lost in the club’s dizzying corridors and tear up the dance floor.
- Fogashaz for exploring the bars within the bar at this exciting piece of history.
- Kiosk for high-end cocktails in vibrant downtown Budapest.
Don't Miss: Top Tours in Budapest
More from Smarter Travel:
- 8 Reasons You Should Go on a River Cruise
- The World’s 11 Best Hot Air Balloon Rides
- The World’s Most Hipster Hoods
Editor’s note: This story was originally published in 2017. It has been updated to reflect the most current information.
Jamie Ditaranto is a writer and photographer who is always looking for her next adventure. Follow her on Twitter @jamieditaranto.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.