Budapest will sneak up on you. You might think you’re just there to climb to the tops of the Buda hills and take in the sights of the main city along the Danube, but what you’ll find is a city bursting with personality. From the top-notch restaurants and cocktail lounges to the food trucks and bars housed in the abandoned buildings of the famous District VII neighborhood, there’s so much the city has to offer. Here are the best places in Budapest to get started.
- Corinthia Hotel for a taste of luxury.
- Blue Danube Hostel for a quality hostel with a warm welcome.
- Hotel Palazzo Zicchy for a boutique hotel with a sophisticated touch.
- Casati Budapest Hotel for immersing yourself in modern design.
- Central Market Hall for immersing yourself in Hungarian flavors.
- Karavan for the city’s best street food all in one place.
- Bors GasztroBar for authentic Hungarian fast food with a Star Wars theme.
- Taverna Dionysos for Mediterranean cuisine in a unique locale.
- Parliament Building for stunning architecture reflected on the Danube.
- Castle Funicular for a fun ride and stunning views from the Budapest Castle.
- House of Terror for a harrowing museum experience that takes you back to the city’s communist era.
- The Citadel for a hike to the fort on top of the city with spectacular views.
- Szimpla Kert for discovering Budapest’s original ruin bar.
- Instant for getting lost in the club’s dizzying corridors and tear up the dance floor.
- Fogashaz for exploring the bars within the bar at this exciting piece of history.
- Kiosk for high-end cocktails in vibrant downtown Budapest.
More from Smarter Travel:
- 8 Reasons You Should Go on a River Cruise
- 10 Budget-Friendly Destinations to Visit in 2017
- The World’s Most Hipster Hoods
Jamie Ditaranto is a writer and photographer who is always looking for her next adventure. Follow her on Twitter @jamieditaranto.