Our goal this season is to get outside as much as possible, whether it’s dining on restaurant patios or picnicking with friends (from a safe distance). As sunny days give way to cooler evenings, these outdoor blankets will keep you warm and let you linger outside longer.
Table of Contents
|Best Down Alternative Outdoor Blanket||Rumpl NanoLoft Puffy Blanket||$$$$||Yes||Separate case included|
|Best Washable Outdoor Blanket||ChappyWrap Blankets||$$$||Yes||None|
|Best Budget Outdoor Blanket||Eddie Bauer Water-Resistant Outdoor Blanket||$||Yes||Built in|
|Best Compact Outdoor Blanket||Kelty Bestie Blanket||$||Yes||Separate case included|
|Best Overall Outdoor Blanket||L.L Bean Mountain Classic Camp Blanket||$$||Yes||Built in|
|Best Outdoor Blanket for Cold Weather||Get Out Gear Down Puffy Camping Blanket||$$||Yes||Built in|
|Best Fleece Outdoor Blanket||Oceas Waterproof Outdoor Blanket||$$||Yes||Separate case included|
|Best Heated Outdoor Blanket||Cozee Battery Powered Heated Blanket||$$$$||Yes||None|
|Best Outdoor Blanket for Couples||Puffer Wolf Extra-Large Double Insulated Outdoor Blanket||$$||Yes||Separate case included|
|Best Waterproof Outdoor Blanket||Coalatree Kachula Blanket||$$$||Yes||Folds into pocket|
|Best Outdoor Blanket for Families||ONIVA Blanket Tote XL||$||Yes||Built In|
|Biggest Splurge Outdoor Blanket||Yeti Lowlands® Blanket||$$$$||Yes||Separate case included|
|Best Outdoor Blanket for Babies||Little Unicorn Indoor/Outdoor Blanket||$$||Yes||Built In|
|Best Outdoor Blanket for Picnics||REDCAMP Extra Large Picnic Blanket||$||Yes||Built In|
|Best Mexican Blanket||Benevolence LA Authentic Mexican Blanket||$||No||No|
Best Down Alternative Outdoor Blanket – Rumpl NanoLoft Puffy Blanket
- Perfectly portable, the Rumpl NanoLoft Puffy Blanket packs down in its included stuff sack to a size that’s easy to carry.
- The insulating NanoLoft technology warms like down does, but compresses smaller and works even on wet days.
Best Washable Outdoor Blanket – ChappyWrap Blankets
- Designed to stand up to repeated washings, ChappyWrap blankets can be used indoors or outdoors and then thrown in the washing machine.
- These ultra-soft yet extra-tough blankets don’t pill, shrink, or fade in the wash.
- Made from a heavy cotton blend, ChappyWrap blankets will keep you warm on even the coldest night.
Best Budget Outdoor Blanket – Eddie Bauer Water-Resistant Outdoor Blanket
- Wrap Eddie Bauer’s Water-Resistant Outdoor Blanket around you, or lay it on the ground for picnicking or camping.
- One side has a waterproof backing and the reverse is soft and comes in a variety of patterns.
- In between, a thin layer of polyester fiber acts as an insulator and adds extra warmth.
Best Compact Outdoor Blanket – Kelty Bestie Blanket
- Kelty’s Bestie Blanket is small and light enough to bring on a backpacking trip, yet delivers heavyweight warmth, thanks to the Cloudloft insulation.
- The soft fabric on each side ups the coziness factor, and it comes in four fun colors to brighten your day.
Best Overall Outdoor Blanket – L.L Bean Mountain Classic Camp Blanket
- L.L Bean’s Mountain Classic Camp Blanket stuffs inside its own integrated pocket for easy transportation.
- Or, you can stuff the pocket with clothing and use it as a pillow while laying on the blanket.
- This outdoor blanket even has built-in loops so you can hang it up for quick drying.
Best Outdoor Blanket for Cold Weather – Get Out Gear Down Puffy Camping Blanket
- When the temperatures get cold, the Down Puffy Camping Blanket from Get Out Gear will keep you warm.
- Weighing just 17 ounces, the quilt folds down small but is large enough to cover a full-size mattress.
- Has snaps to quickly convert the blanket into a poncho.
- Made with 20D ripstop nylon shell, which blocks out wind and cold, and has 650 Fill Power down insulation for added warmth.
- Is water-repellent.
Best Fleece Outdoor Blanket – Oceas Waterproof Outdoor Blanket
- With a nearly five-star rating on Amazon, Oceas’ Waterproof Fleece Blanket is beloved by reviewers.
- This blanket has a cozy fleece lining backed with a durable, waterproof, and windproof fabric.
Best Heated Outdoor Blanket – Cozee Battery-Powered Heated Blanket
- When a regular outdoor blanket just won’t cut it, invest in the Cozee Battery-Powered Heated Blanket.
- Charge the blanket at home or in the car and it will provide hours of warmth while outside.
Best Outdoor Blanket for Couples – Puffer Wolf Extra-Large Double Insulated Outdoor Blanket
- Puffer Wolf’s Extra-Large Double Insulated Outdoor Blanket measures 80” x 51” yet packs down to 5” x 5” x 12” in its included stuff sack.
- The synthetic double-insulation stays warm even in wet conditions and weighs less than 1.5 lbs.
Best Waterproof Outdoor Blanket – Coalatree Kachula Blanket
- The Kachula Blanket is extremely versatile: use as a pillow when folded up, connect multiple blankets together for various uses.
- The entire blanket is coated with an eco-friendly DWR finish to keep you dry and makes spills easy to clean up.
- Includes a water-resistant hood to convert the Kachula to an emergency poncho.
Best Outdoor Blanket for Families – ONIVA Blanket Tote XL
- Oniva Blanket Tote is made with fleece for a cozy feel.
- Water-resistant backing, so when placed on a damp surface, the top layer stays dry.
- Lifetime warranty, the company will replace or repair the blanket for life.
- Folds up into carrying case for easy transport.
Biggest Splurge Outdoor Blanket – Yeti Lowlands® Blanket
- The extremely versatile Yeti Lowlands Blanket will come in handy no matter what circumstances come your way. Use it as a beach blanket, dog blanket, shade, or simply to keep warm on cooler nights.
- Designed to repel dirt, burrs, and pet hair, plus is machine washable, making it extremely durable.
- Two-layer construction: one waterproof side, a polyester/rayon comfort layer, with a 100% polyester insulation middle.
Best Outdoor Blanket for Babies – Little Unicorn Indoor/Outdoor Blanket
- Available in three sizes, the Little Unicorn Indoor/Outdoor Blanket is a must-have for any parent of a baby.
- Made with 100% polyester, and can handle any spill, stain, or accident that comes its way.
- Super portable – it is lightweight, folds up into a carry pack, and has a pocket to store items.
Best Outdoor Blanket for Picnics – REDCAMP Extra Large Picnic Blanket
- Whether camping, going to the beach, or simply heading to the park for a picnic, this extra-large blanket from REDCAMP is the best for every family.
- Bottom is made with waterproof PVC, making it durable and useable on any surface.
- Lightweight with built-in handle for easy transportation, plus a carry bag is included.
Best Mexican Blanket – Benevolence LA Authentic Mexican Blanket
- A staple for every household, this Authentic Mexican Blanket is made to last. This blanket is woven by local artisans in Tlaxcala, Mexico on a traditional wooden loom.
- Made with 100% recycled acrylic and cotton.
- With every purchase, Benevolence LA will make a donation to Water Mission, a clean water initiative.
What is the Best Outdoor Blanket?
- While there are a lot of great options out there, the L.L Bean’s Mountain Classic Camp Blanket is our top pick for an outdoor blanket. You can’t go wrong when it comes to outdoor gear with LLBean. The price point is right, the blanket is versatile, and we love a built-in pocket for easy transport.
- If you are looking for something a little more basic, then go with the Oniva Blanket Tote. The built-in carrying case and ease of opening and closing will make this your go-to blanket for every outdoor occasion.
- If you are looking for a blanket for sheer warmth, the Cozee Battery-Powered Heated Blanket is the one to get. Charge it to heat for the super chilly nights, or use it not heated when you just need an extra layer of warmth.
How to Choose an Outdoor Blanket
Consider the following when choosing your outdoor blanket:
- Use – what will you be using it for? Will you just be using it for picnics, or sitting on it while you enjoy an outdoor concert? Or will you be using it for warmth, perhaps even sleeping? If you are just using it for picnicking, try the REDCAMP Picnic Blanket, it’s easy to fold and clean for any spills that occur while eating. If you are looking for something just for warmth, try something like the Puffer Wolf’s Extra-Large Double Insulated Outdoor Blanket.
- Warmth – if you are using your blanket to keep warm, you will want to consider the blanket’s warmth. If you know you will only be using it in the summer months, something lightweight will suffice, but if you plan on being outside in cooler months, be sure to get something warmer like the Cozee Battery-Powered Heated Blanket or the Rumpl NanoLoft Puffy Blanket.
- Waterproof or not? If you know you will be going outside no matter the weather, be sure to get an outdoor blanket that is waterproof. If you think you will only be using it when the weather is nice, you don’t have to worry about it being waterproof, so a simple Authentic Mexican Blanket is all you need!
What Material is Good for Picnic Blankets?
When choosing a picnic blanket, you are going to want something that you can easily wipe clean- fleece or cotton won’t cut it, so be sure to pick something with a waterproof/wipeable surface.
Can Throws Be Used as Picnic Blankets?
Throws can absolutely be used as a picnic blanket, but they aren’t the best choice as if food or drink gets on them, they will take a bit more to clean. If you use something like the Little Unicorn Indoor/Outdoor Blanket, it’s easy to pack and clean.
You Might Also Like:• The 7 Best U.S. Cities and Towns to See Fall Foliage
• The 10 Best Things to Do in Nashville
• The 20 Best Overwater Bungalows in the World
• 5 Unexpected Items That Can Make or Break Your Hiking Trip
• The Best Things to Do in Colorado
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.