If you’ve been thwarted by a travel insurance provider in the past, you’re not alone. Sometimes, collecting on a claim can be as much of a hassle as the actual incident (illness, accident, etc.) itself.
To make sure you won’t have an unpleasant surprise, follow these steps:
- Be a smart consumer. If you’re considering travel insurance, read the policy thoroughly (including all the fine print) before you buy.
- Compare offers between providers. If you have questions about what’s covered, call a company representative and find out.
- Ensure your chosen provider is reputable. Check its rating with the Better Business Bureau. Look at the company’s professional memberships (e.g. Travel Industry Association, US Travel Insurance Association, etc.).
- If you think you’ll need to make a claim, be sure to document each step of the way, including receipts, names of clerks you worked with, doctor’s records, etc. Be meticulous with your record keeping.
- Don’t try to request compensation for items you know aren’t covered under your policy. This will only lead to increased frustration and potentially weaken your claim.
- See if your credit card or tour company offers any ancillary coverage. Sometimes you’ll get an extra layer of protection from these providers.
- As a last resort, consider [% 1624770 | | small claims court %]. While not an ideal situation by any means, sometimes the threat of a lawsuit may help your case.
Have a great travel tip you’d like to share? Send your insider travel strategies to email@example.com.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Colombia: Choose Your Length of Stay...
Indus Travelsvacation $505+
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+