Whether you’re out and about in a foreign country or on your normal route home, it never hurts to have a portable self-defense device on you. However, some self-defense products can be cumbersome or easy to forget, which is why it’s better to opt for key-chain versions like the BASU ealarm. This small device emits a loud noise when you pull a pin, yet it’s small and light enough to fit in with your keys, so you’ll never leave it at home.
BASU eAlarm Review
How the BASU eAlarm Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. It never hurts to be prepared, and while hopefully you’ll never have to use it, the alarm is loud and persistent enough to garner attention from passersby.
- Value: 10/10. For only $8 on Amazon, this compact alarm is worth keeping around.
- Portability: 8/10. It might be a little clunkier than your other keychains, but it’s light enough not to notice and the pin is secure enough to not come off accidentally
- Cool Factor: 9/10. These alarms come in many different colors and designs, most of which feature a cute robot face.
Final Verdict: My main concern with this product would be that the pin might pull out accidentally, causing the alarm to sound. However, after two weeks of jostling the pin around various purses and backpacks, I never had one incident. When I tested the volume of the alarm, I was surprised to find out how easy the pin was to remove and am sure I would have no problem setting off the alarm in an emergency.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.
More from SmarterTravel:
- 7 Discreet and Portable Self-Defense Tools Under $20
- Self-Defense Skills for Every Traveler
- Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation: 9 Essential Tips
Jamie Ditaranto is a writer and photographer who is always looking for her next adventure. Follow her on Twitter @jamieditaranto.