When it comes to walking shoes for travel, I’ve been skeptical about the fashion-forward, but flat-soled sneaker. After spending a week walking Spanish cobblestones in a pair of well-worn chucks, I flew home with aching feet and swore never to rely on fashion sneakers to do the job of a real sneaker. However, after testing out the new Allbirds Tree Topper sneakers, I may be a convert.
I walked around in a pair of the new high-top sneakers from Allbirds and found the comfort-level to be surprisingly long-lasting. The insoles are made of the brand’s original sugarcane foam, which isn’t just soft, but also springy. As I walked around, my feet felt very supported and like there was a good deal of material separating my soles from the pavement (without the shoes feeling heavy). Also, because they’re made of merino wool, the shoes are warm enough for walking around on cold days, but breathable enough to wear in a stuffy indoor environment.
Allbirds Tree Topper Review
Although Allbirds are famous for their comfort, the introduction of a high-top style changes the game by offering travelers that extra piece of ankle support, which is necessary for preventing ankle sprains and other injuries.
Price and where to buy it: $115 on the Allbirds website.
How the AllBirds Tree Topper Rates:
- Usefulness: 8/10 A good pair of walking shoes is a must-have, no matter where you go. Although I’m usually skeptical about flat-soled sneakers, these shoes are more comfortable than I expected and provide a stylish alternative to athletic sneakers, that can last all day.
- Value: 6/10 The pair of shoes is pricier than your average sneaker, but for one that can double as your walking tour shoes and your casual fashion-sneaker, you can justify the price.
- Durability: 8/10 What I love most about the Allbirds Tree Topper design is the monotone color and fabric. Resistant to scuffs and made of soft material, these shoes will last.
- Portability: 7/10 The high-top shape makes these shoes a little bit bulkier to pack away, but the breathable fabric makes them a great choice to wear during your flight.
- Cool Factor: 10/10 Allbirds is a trendy sneaker brand these days and the new high-top models are a new take on the brand’s classic design.
Final Verdict: For a casually-dressed comfort-seeking traveler, these shoes are in it for long-haul comfort. Available in stylish monotone designs and muted colors, they’re easy to coordinate with most outfits and would be an essential item in any savvy travelers’ arsenal.
More from SmarterTravel
- 5 Worst Shoes for Travel
- 10 Walking Shoes You Can Wear in Public
- Fashion Sneakers Are In: The 9 Best for Travel
Jamie Ditaranto is a writer and photographer always looking for her next adventure. Follow her on Instagram @jamieditaranto.com.
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at editor@.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.