Price and Where to Buy: The Healthy Back Bag by AmeriBag Tech Bag is $85 on AmeriBag.com.
Note: To review this unisex bag that, unlike most other AmeriBags, is geared more to men, I enlisted the help of two brothers-in-law, who each tested the bag for a week and gave their perspective as men who generally opt for messenger bags or backpacks for work and play.
How the AmeriBag Great Outdoors Tech Bag Rates:
- Usefulness: 8/10. With its weather-resistant exterior, ergonomic shape, separate wet-gear section, and multi-pocketed interior, the unisex Healthy Back Bag Tech Bag is “more comfortable than the typical messenger bag and its symmetry allows you to use either shoulder to bear the weight. I would not hesitate to walk a long distance with this bag;” “I found it less likely to awkwardly fall off my back as I bent over—an everyday occurrence with my messenger bag;” “I could fit a remarkable amount of stuff inside the bag.” On the downside, “the bag has a lot of deep pockets where small items can lurk, and I sometimes mindlessly placed items in the bag only to have to empty out all the contents when I went to retrieve something.”
- Durability: 9/10. “The dense weave of the fabric and zippers with a seal seemed to really hold up;” “When I wore the bag it felt secure and strong.”
- Cool Factor: 6.5/10. “I don’t think Steve McQueen would have used one;” “the finish of the bag was too shiny for my taste, but the form-fitting shape felt athletic;” “For vacation travel or more casual occasions, it would be great.”
Final Verdict: This super ergonomic vacation-ready bag geared to men offers comfort and durability, but the multitude of pockets and shiny, patterned fabric may dissuade messenger-bag die-hards from embracing the strengths of this man bag.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Pickpocket-Proof Clothing for Your Next Trip
- 10 Camera Accessories That Will make You a Better Travel Photographer
- What to Pack for Hiking: 35 Essentials
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at email@example.com.