The word got out August 19 that United is making meal service cuts in two areas no other airline has dared touch yet: coach class on Europe flights and business class on domestic flights. Specifically, as of October 1, the airline will:
- End free meal service in coach on its 33 daily Europe departures from Washington Dulles.
- End free meal service in business class on domestic flights.
- End free snack service in coach on domestic flights of two to three hours.
- End a second free snack service in coach on flights between San Francisco and New York.
- Increase prices for snack boxes from $5 to $6.
- Increase prices for sandwiches and salads from $7 to $9.
These changes have already unleashed a flood of anger from United flyers, especially business travelers and loyal MileagePlus frequent flyer members.
What do you think? Voice your opinion by completing our four-question survey. Click here to proceed. You’ll be briefly redirected to another site. We’ll be collecting answers for the next few days and will post the results next week.