With free stays on offer from many of the major hotel chains, I've been calling this the Summer of Free Nights:
- Best Western - One free night after two stays between June 20 and August 15.
- Carlson - One free night after two stays between June 1 and August 31.
- Hilton - One free night after either four qualifying stays or 10 nights through June 30.
- Marriott - One free night after three stays through August 31.
- Omni - One free night in conjunction with a paid weekend night through September 6.
- Starwood - One free weekend night after every three stays through July 31.
The latest promotion for stays at Starwood's newest brands, Aloft and Element hotels, extends the free-for-all through September.
Between August 9 and September 30, Starwood Preferred Guest members will earn a free night after every three qualifying stays at Aloft or Element hotels.
There's no limit to the number of free nights that can be earned, which must be taken at Aloft or Element hotels by December 19, 2010.
Registration is required, by September 30.
Deal or No Deal
One night after three stays is a decent deal but hardly a spectacular one. (The upcoming Marriott Megabonus promotion will reportedly feature a free night after two stays. More on that next week.)
By my count, there are currently 45 Aloft hotels in operation, and seven Element properties, for a total of 52 hotels available on both the earning and redemption sides of the promotion. That limited network could make it a challenge to qualify for the free night, as well as to use it.
And establishing a December 19 deadline to use the free nights is decidedly consumer-unfriendly.
On the other hand, there's no limit to the number of free nights that may be earned. And there are no day-of-the-week limits on when the free nights may be taken.
Reader Reality Check
Three stays within less than two months at hotels with just a handful of locations seems like a daunting hurdle. Anyone up for it?
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.