Go home for a real Thanksgiving meal. Read our Thanksgiving airfare coverage here.
Keep money in your pocket for gifts by saving on holiday airfare. Track fare fluctuations so that you know when it's the right time to buy.
Christmas Flights Holding Steady
This year, we've been tracking Christmas flights on a few dozen routes and have seen fares fluctuate all over the map. Current prices are still holding steady enough that you have time to do some more trend watching. Check in weekly on your specific route, and play around with the dates you can travel in order to find the lowest rate.
Here are more tips for nailing down solid savings on your holiday fare:
* Begin benchmarking fares as early as possible so you'll know a good price when you see it. If you haven't already started, don't delay.
* It'll be wise to avoid high-priced flights two days prior and post Santa's visit.
* Be in the know when sales come out: The sale match generally gets lit by one of the low-cost carriers on Tuesday, and by the following morning, competitors have jumped into the fray and created what we call a full-out fare war.
* Be flexible and check fares from nearby airports as well.
* Check out our previous installment on holiday airfare searches.
We'll keep you up-to-date on holiday airfare fluctuations in the subsequent installments of this monthly blog. Have you already booked your holiday flights? Are you expecting to pay much more than you did on last year's voyage home?