Virgin America today introduced its new rewards credit card lineup: the Virgin America Visa Signature card (annual fee: $49), and the Virgin America Premium Visa Signature card (annual fee: $149). The cards are issued by Alliance Data Retail Services.
Benefits for the cheaper Signature card include the following:
- Free first checked bag each for the cardholder and a guest
- Annual $150 discount on a companion ticket
- 20 percent discount on inflight purchases
- Cardholders earn three points per $1 on Virgin America, one point per $1 elsewhere
- 10,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within the first 90 days
The more expensive Premium Signature card features the following additional benefits:
- No change or cancellation fees for Virgin America bookings
- 5,000 elite-qualifying points for every $10,000 spent, up to 15,000 points annually
- Ability to carry forward elite points when renewing
- 15,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within the first 90 days
A single-currency credit card like Virgin America’s, which earns points in a single program, is only as good as the program it’s linked to. In this case, that’s Virgin America’s Elevate program.
Like the airline itself, Elevate is a small program, with limited opportunities to earn and redeem points. For many travelers, who need an airline with a more comprehensive route network and a loyalty program with more robust benefits, that puts Virgin America at an insurmountable competitive disadvantage.
These cards are for the select few for whom Virgin America works as a primary or secondary carrier, and for whom Elevate is the primary or secondary loyalty program.
This article originally appeared on FrequentFlier.com.
You Might Also Like:
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.