Price and Where to Buy: From around $60 on Amazon.com or eBags
Pros: Even among ultralight suitcases (a category that begins somewhere around the 7-lb. mark), these are incredibly light, starting at 3.4 lb. Mine was so light in fact that I caught my one-year-old dragging it around. And so light that it has turned me into the sort of person who fills conversational pauses with houseguests by asking, “Want to feel a really light suitcase?”
Beyond the novelty factor, it’s also a really good travel companion: It rolled easily and made me feel superhero-strong as I casually hoisted the 22-in. carry-on version into the overhead bin. And unlike a light duffel bag with wheels, it offers some structural integrity. The interior is simple but includes netted pockets.
Cons: The weight trade-off is in the frame, so you won’t get quite as much protection as you would from a heavier suitcase. But the bag still feels sturdy enough to check confidently, and if you’re primarily a carry-on traveler and don’t have to worry about your bags suffering the wrath of baggage handlers, this is mostly a moot point anyway. The only other issue with the bag I tested was that the zipper had a slightly hard time rounding one of the footed corners on the bottom of the bag—a problem that seemed to have more to do with design than the zipper itself. Also note that it doesn’t have an integrated suit bag.
How It Rates:
- Usefulness: 10/10. I took the 22-in. suitcase on three trips (two of them international) and found it delivered everything I needed and nothing I didn’t.
- Portability: 10/10. The suitcase is a breeze to lift, pull, and carry.
- Value: 10/10. The retail price puts these suitcases in the moderate price range, and a number of online sellers including Amazon and eBags offer discounts that make them even more affordable.
- Durability: 7/10. While it holds up well to the rigors of travel, it doesn’t have quite as much structural integrity as a heavier suitcase.
- Cool Factor: 9/10. Not breaking a sweat while lifting your bag? Literally cool. The line comes in a variety of colors, including red, gray, and black.
Final Verdict: A great buy, particularly for carry-on travelers and anyone who doesn’t like lifting extra weight.
(Photo: Joel Boardman)
Editor’s Note: Reviews are based on usefulness, portability, durability, value, and “cool factor.” Some review products are sent to us free of charge and with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions, positive and negative, and will never accept compensation to review a product. If you have any questions or comments concerning our reviews, or would like to suggest a product for review, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hand-pick everything we recommend and select items through testing and reviews. Some products are sent to us free of charge with no incentive to offer a favorable review. We offer our unbiased opinions and do not accept compensation to review products. All items are in stock and prices are accurate at the time of publication. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Top Fares From
Today's Top Travel Deals
Brought to you by ShermansTravel
Morocco: 9-Nt Guided Tour, Incl. Casablanca,...
Wisconsin Dells Water Park Resort w/Meals,...
Rome to Istanbul: Luxe, 11-Night Mediterranean...
Oceania Cruisescruise $3999+