Warnings and Dangers in Long Beach: Areas to Avoid / Crime
Long Beach is a tourist destination in Southern California. While this beautiful city attracts tourists from around the world, it’s not immune to crime in certain areas. Here are the key areas to avoid in Long Beach.
Don't Miss: Top Tours in Newport Beach
Risky Areas of Long Beach
- The Wrigley area of Long Beach is known for its increasing crime rate involving theft and stolen vehicles, making it risky to leave vehicles unattended for long periods of time.
- North Long Beach is also known to have some sketchy areas prone to muggings and auto thefts. It’s a dimly lit and mostly industrial area.
- The Pacific Coast highway is not only known for petty theft and muggings, but also for rampant drug use and prostitution in its surrounding areas..
West of Long Beach Crime
Crime rates have spiked west of Long Beach itself. Many residents note that the questionable areas appear to start around West 9th street and continue further west of the main center of Long Beach. West of Long Beach is not only known for increased theft and robberies, but also for more impoverished individuals who experience drug addictions and mental illnesses. Use extreme caution when visiting, especially at night.
Stay Safe During Your Trip to Long Beach
Remain as safe as possible when visiting Long Beach by avoiding high-risk areas and keeping an eye on your vehicle and valuables wherever you go. Keep valuables out of plain sight, especially when leaving your vehicle parked and unattended for hours. Always lock your vehicle when parking it, even if you’re visiting a beach location during the daytime. Stay away from shoddy areas that are dimly light or do not have many people nearby.
Avoid straying too far from the beach itself (many travelers rate 7-9 streets as the safest) to keep out of trouble. Never visit the outskirts of Long Beach unless you are fully aware of the crimes that occur there.
The portions of Long Beach nearest to the water are most likely the safest, especially for tourists or those looking to enjoy the Long Beach nightlife.
More from SmarterTravel:
- Long Beach Things to Do – Attractions & Must See
- Tips on California Warnings or Dangers – Stay Safe!
- California Road Trip
Don't Miss: Top Tours in Long Beach
Editor’s note: The information contained on this page was compiled using real traveler reviews about warnings, dangers, and areas to avoid crime in Long Beach.