Allegiant continued its expansion binge by announcing three new routes:
- Three weekly flights from Mesa (Phoenix) to Honolulu starting February 7, with introductory fares starting at $199 each way, available for purchase through August 28 for flights through April 16.
- Two flights weekly from Eugene Oregon to Palm Springs starting November 15, with introductory fares starting at $89 each way, available for purchase through August 28 for flights through January 13.
- Two weekly flights from Oakland to Palm Springs, also starting November 15, with introductory fares starting at $39 each way, available for purchase through August 28 for flights through January 13.
These new flights, schedules, and fares are already up on Allegiant’s website. And they raise some interesting hints about Allegiant’s growth program.
The airline has clearly identified Palm Springs as another key destination city, with flights already operating from Bellingham—and therefore, in effect, from Vancouver. So you can expect flights linking Palm Springs with more western cities in coming weeks and months. And although Allegiant hasn’t said so, many Palm Springs flights will run only during the winter season.
Mesa-to-Honolulu represents a departure from the carrier’s traditional business model. As far as I can tell, it’s Allegiant’s first route linking two major visitor destinations, a switch from the airline’s previous strict focus on flights from small-town America to big destinations. It’s even possible that Allegiant, which already serves Mesa from a bunch of smaller western cities, might try to test possible connections there, which would be an even bigger change.
As usual with a new market, Allegiant does not promise to keep the new routes flying more than a few months. Just as it is quick to try new opportunities, it is equally quick to drop routes that don’t provide enough income from hotels and car rentals.
Will you fly on any of Allegiant’s new routes?
You Might Also Like:
- JetBlue Fined $90,000 for Passenger Rights Violations
- Best Credit Card for Car Rentals
- Delta Will Award Fewer Miles for Some Fares