Each year, Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman (a.k.a Dr. Beach), Director of Florida International University’s Laboratory for Coastal Research, releases his list of the 10 best beaches in America. Dr. Leatherman ranks beaches based on 50 individual characteristics, including the color and texture of the sand, strength of undertow, and whether or not pests, such as mosquitoes, are a persistent problem.
But what you really want to know is which beach came in first. So without further delay, here are the top 10 beaches for 2010:
10. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, FL
9. Hamoa Beach, Maui, HI
8. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, SC
7. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, MA
6. Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, HI
5. Main Beach, East Hampton, NY
4. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, NC
3. Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA
2. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, FL
1. Coopers Beach, Southampton, NY
Now, living in a beach community myself, I have to say I’m pretty fond of my local beaches, though I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking my favorite beach is the best. What do you think? Do you have a favorite beach? Have you been to any of the beaches in the top 10? Perhaps you’re heading to the beach this weekend? Leave a comment below with your thoughts. Thanks!