We love hearing from you, and encourage lively discussions of travel topics. We moderate comments to ensure that posted comments are productive, civil, and relevant to the topic.
Great comments are:
Comments on story pages and personal information on profile pages should not contain:
- Name-calling or personal attacks
- Attacks on particular groups of people
- Comments inciting violence or illegal activities
- Vulgarity (explicit or implied) and general tastelessness
- Comments written in all capital letters
- Off-topic comments
- Advertising or shameless plugs
- Incoherent comments
- Comments with repetitive content
- Plagiarized content
- Comments claiming a false identity
- Excessively long comments
- Comments that impose political views/beliefs on others
- Personal contact information, including email addresses
Guidelines for User Photos
We love seeing your photos documenting where you've been and what you've seen. We moderate photos to ensure that they are tasteful and appropriate for a general audience.
Photos and avatars should not:
- Contain nudity
- Contain offensive gestures or signals
- Promote hate, violence, or illegality
- Contain recognizable images of private citizens without their knowledge
- Advertise properties, websites, companies, or retail goods
- Belong to someone else
- Impose political beliefs on others
- Be altered beyond basic touch ups
Comments: We reserve the right to block or delete inappropriate comments. After three inappropriate comments, we may block the user from making future comments on SmarterTravel.com.
Profiles: Inappropriate content on profile pages will result in a request from a moderator to change the problematic text. If changes are not made within the allotted time, the account will be suspended.
Usernames: Usernames should not contain profanity or web addresses. If a username is found to be inappropriate, a moderator will request a change to the problematic text. If changes are not made within the allotted time, the account will be suspended.
Avatars: Avatars should only contain images appropriate for a general audience. Avatars flagged as inappropriate will result in a request from a moderator to change the problematic image. If changes are not made within the allotted time, the account will be suspended.
If this Site contains forums, bulletin boards, chat rooms or other message or communication facilities (collectively, "Interactive Areas"), you agree that you are responsible for your own communications and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use the Interactive Areas only to send and receive messages and material that are legal, proper and related to the particular Forum and not to stalk or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
By using any Interactive Areas, you expressly agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish through the Site any:
- Message, data, information, text, music, sound, photos, graphics, code or any other material ("Content") that is unlawful, libelous, infringing, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable;
- Content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law, including, without limitation, the regulations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or any rules of a securities exchange such as the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), the American Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ;
- Content that is unrelated to the topic of the Interactive Area(s) in which such Content is posted;
- Private information of any third party, including, without limitation, surname (family name) addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers;
- Content that impersonates any person or entity or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity, including Smarter Travel Media LLC;
- Post any material that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party (the "Rights"), unless you are the owner of the Rights or have the permission of the owner to post or transmit such material.
- Post any files that contain viruses, corrupted data or any other similar software or programs that are harmful, disruptive and destructive and may damage the operation of another's computer.
- Advertise or offer to sell any goods or services for any commercial purpose, other than in interactive areas intended for such uses.
- Conduct or forward unsolicited promotions, political campaigning, advertising, contests, raffles, or solicitations, surveys, contests, pyramid schemes or chain letters, other than in interactive areas intended for such uses.
- Download any file posted by another user of a Interactive Areas that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
- Impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is posted.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from enjoying the Interactive Areas or any other interactive areas.
- Content or links to content that, in the sole judgment of Smarter Travel, (i) violates the previous subsections herein, (ii) is objectionable, (iii) which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Interactive Areas or the Site, or (iv) which may expose Smarter Travel or its affiliates or its users to any harm or liability of any type.
As a provider of interactive services, Smarter Travel is not liable for any statements, representations or Content provided by its users in any public forum, personal home page or other Interactive Areas. SmarterTravel.com does not control the information delivered to the Interactive Areas, and SmarterTravel.com has no obligation to monitor the Interactive Areas. Although Smarter Travel has no obligation to screen, edit or monitor any of the Content posted to or distributed through any Interactive Area, Smarter Travel reserves the right, and has absolute discretion, to remove, screen or edit without notice any Content posted or stored on the Site at any time and for any reason, and you are solely responsible for creating backup copies of and replacing any Content you post or store on the Site at your sole cost and expense. However, SmarterTravel.com reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
SmarterTravel.com does not endorse, support, represent or guaranty the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any communications posted in the Interactive Areas or endorse any opinions expressed in the Interactive Areas. You acknowledge that any reliance on material posted in the Interactive Areas will be at your own risk.
If notified by a User of communications which allegedly do not confirm to any term of this Agreement, SmarterTravel.com may investigate the allegation and determine in good faith and in its sole discretion whether to remove or request the removal of the communication. SmarterTravel.com will have no liability or responsibility for performance or non-performance of such activities. SmarterTravel.com reserves the right to terminate or restrict your access to any or all of the Interactive Areas at any time without notice for any reason whatsoever, including your violation of these terms. You acknowledge that some Interactive Areas available through the Site are available only through the Site and others are available both through the Site and other sources, such as Usenet, over which SmarterTravel.com has no control.
SmarterTravel.com reserves the right to remove, abridge or redact content posted to any Interactive Areas.
By your action of posting or otherwise distributing of any and all content ("Content") to or through the Site, unless we indicate otherwise, you (a) grant SmarterTravel.com and its affiliates a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable, irrevocable and fully sublicensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, distribute, publish, create derivative works from and publicly display and perform such Content throughout the world in any media, now known or hereafter devised; (b) grant SmarterTravel.com and its affiliates and sublicensees the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such Content, if they choose; and (c) represent and warrant that (i) you own and control all of the rights to the Content that you post or otherwise distribute, or you otherwise have the lawful right to post and distribute such Content to or through the Site and grant the rights set forth herein; (ii) such Content is accurate and not misleading; and (iii) use and posting or other transmission of such Content does not violate these Site Terms and will not violate any rights of or cause injury to any person or entity. You further grant SmarterTravel.com the right to pursue at law any person or entity that violates your or SmarterTravel.com's rights in the Content by a breach of these Site Terms.
SmarterTravel.com reserves the right to use the Content as it deems appropriate, including, without limitat) you do not require that any personally identifying information be used in connection with the Content, or any derivative works of or upgrades or updates thereto; (b) you have no objection to the publication, use, modification, deletion and exploitation of the Content by SmarterTravel.com or its licensees, successors and assigns; (c) you forever waive and agree not to claim or assert any entitlement to any and all moral rights of an author in any of the Content; and (d) you forever release SmarterTravel.com, and its licensees, successors and assigns, from any claims that you could otherwise assert against SmarterTravel.com by virtue of any such moral rights.