India is a diverse country, and each state experiences variations in climate. For the most part, summer monsoon season is a major factor when considering a vacation to India, but other times experience dry and warm weather accompanied by an average of nine hours of sunshine per day. October through March is perhaps the most ideal time to visit, with clear skies and hot temperatures. You can expect the most visitors November through February.
- high season: November to February
- low season: April to September
- shoulder season: October, March
From April through June, the weather is dry and hot, with temperatures averaging 100 degrees during the day. At this time, people flock to the Himalayas where the temperatures are cool and more pleasant. July through September, monsoons are frequent and sometimes heavy. In fact, the coastal areas start experiencing their first rainfall in June. The Himalayas experience a very different kind of weather, with snowfall from December through February. In the plains of northern India, the winter months occur from November through February. In general, temperatures become milder toward the south.
Fewer people visit during the summer and monsoon season. From October through March, festivals such as Durga Puja, Diwali, Christmas, the Goa Carnival, the Desert Festival, the Bikaner Camel Festival, Pushkar Mela, Kartik Purnima Snan, and Makar Sankranti attract large crowds.
Restaurants, hotels, and shops stay open year-round.
When to Save
Prices are reduced during the off-peak seasons.
Information provided by the India Tourist Office.
A few more sites for information
- Pan India Corporation: This website features a comprehensive list of festivals, organized by month, alphabetical order, and event.
- EventsinIndia.com: Here you will find listings of events taking place all over India. You can easily search by event, city, or category.
- Weather.com: Based on where you're going in India, this popular website for current weather provides upcoming forecasts, a flight tracker, and temperature averages for the previous year.
The information and websites listed here were valid at the time of publication, but some details may have changed since that time. Please check directly with the provider for the latest information.