Popular Africa Destinations
Africa Travel GuideWhen to visit Africa
Since Africa makes up an extremely large geographic area, it's difficult to determine seasonality for it as a whole. The continent touches the Mediterranean, Atlantic, and Indian Ocean, and has diverse climates that can be tropical, subtropical, arid, or semiarid, depending on region. Its geography is also varied and can include mountains, grassy plateaus, lowlands, and deserts. Africa also straddles the equator with winter and summer seasons differing from north to south. Some countries like the Democratic Republic of Congo are split between the two.
Editors' Picks: Africa DealsSee All Africa Travel Deals
Sonesta: Family Packages with Perks, Savings
Taking a family vacation? Sonesta offers family packages at many of its locations. Packages feature extras that include breakfast, tickets to local attractions, and cookies.
Sonesta: 30 Percent Off for Early Bookings
Book rooms on Sonesta's website and receive savings that range from 10 to 30 percent off when you reserve a room between seven and 30 days in advance.
Top 10 Beach Destinations for Summer 2011
From far-flung shores to the beach next door, we'll help you find a seaside destination that's a perfect fit for you and your budget this summer.
Suitehotel: Up to 40 Percent Off Extended Stays and More
Book a stay at a participating Suitehotel and save up to 40 percent off extended stays.
Africa Travel Advice See All Africa Travel Advice
- World's Most Beautiful Bike Trails Cycling vacations aren't just for top-tier athletes. Many of the world's most beautiful bike trails take in the countryside on gentle paths that favor scenery over strenuous pedaling. For this list of beautiful bike trails around the world, we selected routes that can be done in days or weeks, depending on your level of commitment. Bonus: You won't feel guilty sampling the local cuisine after you've spent a day burning calories on a bike trail.
- 15 World Heritage Sites You Haven't Heard of Yet UNESCO has granted coveted World Heritage status to a number of noteworthy and fascinating sites around the world. Here are 15 of the newest additions.
- 10 Cool Nature Retreats with Unbelievable Views Where do you go when you want to get away from it all? How about one of these 10 wild nature retreats with million-dollar views?
- 10 Truly Unique City Tours Around the World On these 10 unique city tours, you'll venture into the Bronx with an old-school rapper and see abandoned buildings in Portugal's second city. You're sure to come home with a camera full of authentic experiences that most visitors miss.
- 10 Totally Unique (or Wacky) Ways to Travel Road trip? Been there. Caribbean cruise? Done that. Simply jetting off for the weekend? Yawn. Ditch that everyday vacation and, instead, embark on a truly wild adventure. We've uncovered 10 kinds of wacky, totally unique ways to see the world, from horse caravans through Ireland to rocket-ship rides through space, perfect for giving your travel bug a bit of pick-me-up.
- From Goldfish to Giraffes: 10 Incredible Hotel Animals Most hotels go out of their way to keep animals out, but a few make stars of their dogs, fish, dolphins, polar bears, and other furry and finned friends.