- That discount is likely "subtracted" from the room's rack rate (the highest price for the room on specific days during the peak booking season). Since it's unlikely that you'll ever be charged that price, the discount isn't really a discount at all.
- Advertisers also like to add "extras" to the room rate to artificially inflate that "70% off" and sometimes even "80% off" claim. This "value" often includes daily breakfast, internet access, and other surcharge-carrying services in the nightly rate. The discount, therefore, isn't based on just the room but is based on all the related services that might not be of use to you.
- Hotel rates are constantly changing. If an event is coming to town, room rates will skyrocket since demand is at a premium. Conversely, if there are extended periods of lower vacancy (hurricane season in the Caribbean, for example), room prices plummet. Attempting to determine the value of a percentage savings from such volatile price points is, at best, an inexact science.
- Don't only check one site and call it a day. By comparing prices across several providers, major online travel agencies, and your favorite hotel brand's site, you may find that one price point undercuts the rest-or offers a little something extra for the same price.
- Go for it, go opaque. You'll see the room class, neighborhood, amenities, price, and reviews before you book, but if you're willing to take a chance with the hotel brand, opaque sites such as our partners Hotwire and Priceline are great ways to save big.
- Forget the oranges, only compare apples to apples. Make sure you're comparing the same offerings across providers. And to ensure you're getting an even better deal, you'll want to compare prices for similar room types at all hotels.
- Look for discounts. Oftentimes, hotels offer additional savings for AAA and AARP members, students, military personnel and their families, teachers, and other groups.
- Join a private sale site. Sign up for a luxury discount-hotels site, such as JetSetter, which offers exclusive, members-only discounts at the finest properties throughout the world.
BookingBuddy allows you to search various sites at once so you can compare the prices and options offered. Prices or promotions on BookingBuddy are reflective of what's offered on those sites. When you book travel, your booking is handled by one of those sites directly, not by BookingBuddy. Transactions, and all subsequent customer care, are directly handled by the site where you booked your travel. BookingBuddy does not control the price, rules, regulations, or restrictions surrounding the price. Please read all rules and regulations before booking.